I Forge Iron

Prototype photos

These are the photos of the prototype knives I'm working on based on my last post requesting steel suggestions.

They are 5160 edge hardened. I'll show the knife shop owner later this week. He takes 25% commission for sales and I can live with that.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

post-677-0-69753500-1399430066_thumb.jpg

The ricasso on all of them looks overly large compared to the rest of the blade.  The half-round notch should be a lot smaller, too.  The handles are nice, and I think the top one is the best of the three in terms of blade shape and how the whole package grabs the eye.

Aw John, I recon you should toss those in the rejected-but keep for Ian bin and start again :D  just kidding though they look really good, I think that middle one would look awesome with a micarta handle.

Ian

Be a long toss to hit Ian with one....I like the top one too but I could see where the others might be just what someone is looking for for specialized jobs

I like the variation in handles too---but expect a request to have "bladeshape XYZ with handle shape QRS".  Did you keep a tracing of the blade before handled for your records?

I don't know where this exercise is going in the long run, but it's fun making them and not worrying too much, or getting uptight about the outcome. The bottom line is that they need to be somewhat rustic and have a price point that sells them. What I've found is that after making damascus blades, the pressure is off in that if I blow the grind on a damascus blade after 8 hrs of forging the billet, I don't go home a happy camper. The carbon blades are a little easier to trash and start over. So the whole process is much more forgiving and allows for freedom to experiment.

The comments are greatly appreciated, and helpful. I'll try to post some pics as the blades are completed.

Thank you all,

John

Really nice group of knives! I like the texture left near the spines, and the handle material is intriguing. Are the scales made of bone? The profiles are really well designed too, with the ricasso forming a finger guard of sorts.   

Robert

The scales are elk/deer antlers. I've been hitting up folks, friends neighbors and anyone else who may access to antlers...legally of course, and begging to get some. It's amazing what happens when you put out the word. It may cost a few knives, but in the long run, it's all good. I really like the fact that it's all community in one way or another.

John

Aw John, I recon you should toss those in the rejected-but keep for Ian bin and start again :D  just kidding though they look really good, I think that middle one would look awesome with a micarta handle.

Ian

Ian,

I have a bunch for you, but if you, and your better 2/3rds don't show up soon...

Seriously, are you planning a US trip in the near future?

JE

John, my er better 2/3rds isn't as keen as she could be! But I'm keen(makes it somewhat tricky) I am trying to come up with something. ;) and make sure I don't go down with something.....! I loved the last trip, but as you know "poor blacksmith and all that".

Ian

I'm keen but the better 2/3rds not so much. So I'm trying to come up with something ;) whilst not going down with something else...!(if you get my drift) it's tricky being a poor blacksmith as you know? My new shop is just about finished and that gobbled up a fair chunk of loot.

I really like your new take on these knives.

Ian

Good looking blades. I like the deep recess behind the ricasso, very functional for choking up on the blade. And I really like the unfinished spine area. I've done a few machetes that way and I just love the look. IMO its an easier to maintain finish for a working blade vs a polished blade that needs maintenance to keep it that way. Just let it tarnish and it adds to the luster. Thanks for sharing your work!