I Forge Iron

Oldies but goodies

I caught the news at lunch time, one of the articles was about a local antiques center on the old RAF base at Hemswell just north of Lincoln.

A lot of the old buildings have been turned into selling antiques and not so antiques as well as a large car boot on the Sunday.

Anyhow the folks being interviewed were saying how  the foot fall has increased as people realise that the older stuff - tools, furniture etc being sold was of a better quality and price than modern equivalents.

Its nice to see that we have been leading the trend  :D

Wayne

Of course some of this is an artifact of survival---the junk tools generally were thrown away or broken or scrapped over the years leaving the good ones in a higher proportion.  100 year old catalogs often show junk tools as well as good and excellent tools (Sears & Roebuck for example)

Of course some of this is an artifact of survival---the junk tools generally were thrown away or broken or scrapped over the years leaving the good ones in a higher proportion.

I've never quite thought about it like that! You are quite a smart fella Thomas!

naw just studying this stuff for a long time.  One of the things you learn is that the archeological record can lie though preservation issues---like we have almost no viking era/area linens or other cellouse fibers because the soil destroys them while preserving wools; but the tools for working bast fibers are found and references in sagas and other writing mentions them.

An oddity is the one mentioned by Eric Sloane where he found an almost unused old tool once---only to discover the reason it was unused was that it was pretty much worthless and so had been discarded to be found unworn a century or two later.  I am sure some cast iron ASOs are hiding in some basements and garages and will provoke unwarrented excitement when they are found 100 years hence...

Antiques are uncomfortable.

Try having a kid AND a comfortable recliner. By the time the second kid comes alone the comfortable recliner is showing signs of wear. By the time they reach school age the recliner is worn out, and due to be replaced.

The same with tools. If they are used, they wear out.

Look at Grandma's kitchen cutting knife. She prefers it to a new knife even though HER knife is worn severely by years of use and sharpening.

The harness in the barn needs cleaned and dressing applied even though the horse died years ago.  The plow in the barn needs sharpening, The old hit and miss engine needs brought back to life and lubrication. When was the last time you saw a carpet beater, or hand cranked ice cream maker or saw a bed wrench being used?  Each tool shows wear if it is used very much.

Yes they were made of better quality *in the old days* as the maker took price in his work and built things to last.

Well I think that is a bit over romanticized.

Remember that even 200 years ago a lot of stuff was made in factories.

Know why native Americans  used a chisel edge on their trade knives?  A lot of them were case hardened wrought iron and a double bevel would soon wear through the steel part leaving a soft blade.  A chisel edge has a steel cutting edge all the way up the blade.  Not much pride in what they made. 

Ever read "The Jungle" not much pride there either. 

Look at the derrivation of the term Shoddy, pride in workmanship 150+ years ago?   Not necessarily so.  Some craftsman had pride in their work. some didn't----just like today!

And many of those trade knives made for the Indian market were coming out of Sheffield England, and other cities known for their cutlery. Like Asian imports today, you could get price, or quality. But they were still better than flint.

IIRC, John Smith found the Indians around his little settlement using French trade axes walked down from the Great Lakes area.

Glenn

Your right antiques are uncomfortable as a rule but still hold me up after 150 years where the recliner is letting me down after 5.  Interesting you mention Harness I just spent the weekend cleaning and oiling up 2 sets of work harnesses that hang right where they were when the last teams were sold 25 yrs. ago but they are still in good shape and usable  at a moments notice.  Plus  today I ordered new handles for a walking plow that would plow a garden in the morning if needed.  I'll never use either again maybe the family will.  Too Good to throw out.    

This might be a bit off topic but I have an OLD Kitchenaide dishwasher.   When we bought the house 15 years ago it was old.   Kind of an off yellow color.  It was also a just a little rusty on the front face.    When we replaced the ancient counter in the kitchen we took some matching formica and glued it on the front and it has looked well since then.   But it was and is OLD, in dishwasher years...  

I would guess it is at least 25 years old if not 30+.    

Every so often it develops a problem that usually means something needs to be cleaned.  Well for 15 years I have been cleaning and running it with no problem.  Even though my wife has been saying we need a new one for the last 15 years.  When these little problems arise I start researching a new dishwasher on-line.   When I look I never find anything with raving reviews.   And I talk with folks in that business and they say there is nothing on the market today that works as good as the old stuff and in particular not as good as the old Kitchenaide/Hobarts.     People actually collect these (Kitchenaide)!   My brother in law has had three new dishwashers over the last 15 years...

I for one am leary of new stuff.   Seems advertising and youtube videos have replaced quality and functionality.     When you read the reviews the thing that is most mentioned is the noise and environment.   Apparently everyone wants a silent dishwasher that is environmentally friendly?   Apparently my dishwasher offends the environment?   I don't get it!   I want a dishwasher that is reliable and cleans my dishes!  

I just want something that works.   Seems like that would be the quietest and most environmentally friendly over the long haul (life cycle cost concept?).   Re-work, repairs, having to replace things more often and so forth don't help the environment due to waste.   Broken stuff that is relatively new makes me pissed and that doesn;t help the quiet!!!