I Forge Iron

Maintenance of elektro engines?

Elmarginalo

I've been looking around the net, but I can't find a decent answer anywhere.

I bought a (really) old forge & hood with smoke extractor.

Both work with elektro engines and I'd like to give both a 'maintenance' since they are so old and haven't been used in a few years.

I was wondering what oil/grease I should use to lubricate them?  Both engines have this little "hole" to put grease/oil in them, how do I use this?

Any hints that put me in the right direction would be helpful.

Thanks!

Non-detergent Motor Oil *please*!   But he's right; pretty much any oil is better than none...

Here in NM, USA they sell handly little squeeze containers of oil with long plastic spouts for oiling the bearing of our swanp coolers.  I tell my wife we need a new one each year and the old ones mysteriously migrate to the shop...

Also be sure to plug the hole if it doesn't already have a cap.  Dirt will get in there, otherwise, and that's a bad thing.  A lot of folks used to put newspaper down in the oil cup - it worked as a filter and a wick to slow the flow of the gravity-fed lubing system.

By all means blow the dust and dirt out with an air hose but do NOT get the nozzle close to the windings! high pressure air can damage the coating on the windings, especially if there's gritty dust on them, it can blow the dust just like sand blasting sand and at the first little tear the air will strip the varnish (or whatever) right off.

Yes, oil it, see above.

Inspect all the wiring for damage don't hesitate to pull the inspection plate and look even if you aren't an electrician. If you or I spot a problem it's a real problem. If it were very old I'd take it to one of the local motor shops for a professional inspection. It's not like I'm going to be repairing  damage inside an electrical motor, NOT my field.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the input guys!

I bought one of those pumps to put some oil/grease in there.

I'm too impatient atm to take things apart and clean them ;-)

But I'm definitly taking your advise Frosty: I'm going to look for a professional to clean and check the engines for me.