I Forge Iron

Doozy of a coal-burner!

VaughnT

I love to browse the internet looking for inspirational pictures and recently found a place called Pinterest that has just gobs and gobs of pictures of blacksmithed stuff.  A lot of ideas that I would never have though out, and most of them were small things that anyone could try to duplicate.

One of the real doozies, though, was this beautiful coal forge.  I've got a big folder of forge pictures that I keep for future inspiration, but this is a first.  I don't know anything about the maker, but I think the rust indicates that it's being used.

awesomeforge_zps669b1033.jpg

Love the little dragon hatchling clawing his way up the leg!

I think you bring up a good point, Glenn.  The time invested in the details really do make a difference, and not just to the trained eye of a fellow metal worker.  If I were to see a smith working at a forge like this, say at a fair of some kind, I wouldn't hesitate to hire them for a job.  Heck, I might just invent a job on the spot.

I cringe every time I see a smith holding his anvil to the stump with bent nails.  I can't help but think, "That's the best you could do?"

While something like this forge is orders of magnitude more time-consuming and difficult than a smith needs, the principle is the important thing.

Around here you see the same kind of thing on weld trucks, one are simply 1 tons with a welder in the bed and stuffed with rands and tools, others have flatbed, or commercial weld beds, but others, are hand crafted, rolling advertisements of the skill and dedication of the weldor.
Must say, it is insperationnal

Yet another reason to make your tools beautiful.  I have always tried sometimes failed to show my skill in the tools that I use a lot.  Its a great way to show ones ability and also makes it much more interesting for people to watch you demonstrate when everywhere they look theres something else to stare at.    I also find it helps to keep my creative juices flowing.  I have been wanting to add some decorative touches to some of the large tools I use regularly and I am still trying to come up with some designs I like.  This will help me think of options thanks again for sharing.

Think he needed the dragon's breath for forging an iron throne? :D

One of the things that leaves me dissatisfied with modern times, is that we seem to have lost the sense of asthetics we used to have.  Function has triumphed over form, everything is becoming utilitarian.

I've seen some signs in the younger generation that I am not alone in this, so maybe there is hope that we can regain some of it before we all end up living in block houses and wearing unisex jumpsuits :P

I'd love to visit the site this picture is from, does he have any more pictures/items shown?

Edit: Found the link embedded in the picture, doh!

• 1 month later...

I missed this the 1st time around. Definitely gives me some ideas to think about. I've wanted to make some nice legs that show off forge joinery for my bigger forge for awhile, but haven't really wrapped my head around any solid ideas yet, This gives me a great starting point o think from. You wouldn't happen to have any more picts of this would you? maybe some detail shots?

Around here you see the same kind of thing on weld trucks, one are simply 1 tons with a welder in the bed and stuffed with rands and tools, others have flatbed, or commercial weld beds, but others, are hand crafted, rolling advertisements of the skill and dedication of the weldor.
Must say, it is insperationnal

Charles, did you ever notice how ingenious (sp?) those welders are with their grills/BBQ pits.  They really come up with some artistic types to show off a bit.  Some large, some small, but they all make you say, "ain't that neat...bet it cooks a steak great!!!"