I Forge Iron

I have a wonderful workshop and really rather need someone else to move in to it - does anyone here know of a good place to find someone? I have tried all the ways I went about finding it myself - Gumtree, various studio and workshop sites, Arts News... I'm in London and it's really rather expensive to be there on my own. 

So if anyone here knows any blacksmith who needs a space in London, please let me know! It's beautiful and a lovely place to be but I'm not making enough money to rent it on my own.

Thanks,

Agnes

Glenn is well known for his sense of humour <_< Agnes... Glenn, I guess that shop space is not going at such a premium other than in the original London - and we don't feel the need to qualify a place's location unless it's a repro'...

Agnes, it could be a good idea to post this under the Blacksmiths' Guild section (bottom of the main page), that deals with most of the UK specific matter on the site. As well as letting the Guild's master - John B - know about your workshop, why not give BABA news of it too? Following that, if you let the college at Hereford know, they may have some alumni that are looking for space.

In any case, let prospective smiths have an idea where abouts it is - postcode / district - as well as what the cost will be and what facilities are available.

Good luck.

from the tags its in Hackney and is a railway arch, in London and a few other places a lot of the rails are  well above street level and the roads are below them, the brick archways not used for roads became small workshops and storage space with regular trains overhead every few minutes.

probably the same in some parts of some US cities

Hi Agnes,

if you can give a few more details (such as size, price, hours of access etc) then I'll also ask around the folks I used to teach.  My gears still in storage at the minute as I've moved out of my old place in Stepney. I'm too skint to rent so I'm building a new shop out of containers over in Edmonton on a plot I've been offered next to the river lee.

Good luck with it all

Ian

Hi Agnes,

if you can give a few more details (such as size, price, hours of access etc) then I'll also ask around the folks I used to teach.  My gears still in storage at the minute as I've moved out of my old place in Stepney. I'm too skint to rent so I'm building a new shop out of containers over in Edmonton on a plot I've been offered next to the river lee.

Good luck with it all

Ian

Next to a river Ian,

First job, forge some anchors and seal the joints if down here is anything to go by. Or weld on an outboard motor bracket and go mobile.

Cheers for that suggestion John, but I've already got two narrow boats out the front :) They're a lot prettier and more seaworthy than a shipping container.

Our bit of the river forms a part of the canal network so there's very little chance of it flooding.

hope you're doing well

:D

Hi Ian, Cheers, good to see you back, bit busy at the moment helping sort out this International Blacksmiths Festival we are having at Westpoint in August, 13th to 16th, are you coming? Should be a bit of a do, and a great hoolie on the Saturday night.(and probably every other one too, knowing some who are coming.)

Hoping to get website for it up and running soon. 

• 10 years later...