I Forge Iron

Forthcoming Smith in Southern California

DesertDisciple

I've been posting a bit in other threads, so I thought it was about time to introduce myself.

My name is Andrew, and I've wanted to start learning the fundamentals of blacksmithing for a few years now. To put my experience in perspective, I've never had the opportunity to touch or even see a forging hammer or anvil in person. I'm finally at a place in my life where I can start looking for equipment and getting my dream going. I live in the High Desert area in San Bernardino County, and am always up for meeting new people. I have big, unrealistic dreams and I'm most proud of that. I'm very blessed to have a wife who dreams as big as I do and supports me 100%. She is my dream come true.

So far, I've found some excellent sources of information on this site, as well as some excellent folks who've given a very warm welcome. I can only see the experience getting better. What I am most hopeful for is to find some smiths in my locale whom I can chat with and get to know. I'm thrilled to see there are some folks who can still make a living from this craft, but even more so to see that there is still value in working with the hands God has given us, even when it isn't profitable.

I hope to make all of your acquaintances, and on favorable terms!

Happy Smithing!

Andrew

You've started with a dream, now's where what you think 'smithing is and reality meets.  Most have a romantic view and over look the hard and dirty reality.  You've got an extra hurdle, being in that climate you have to deal with heat and dry.  Good luck on acquiring equipment adequate for what you need to do.  If you can, visit and/or work with an experienced smith.  A few hours under the eye of a knowledgeable smith is worth it's weight in books.

good luck on your quest, post pics of your progress!

You should look at Adam's Forge website.  They have lots of different classes and beginning classes.  They have all the needed equipment to start and great instructors.  Also, this april, the California Blacksmith Assoc. is having it's spring conference and it should be great.  Very expensive but worth it. 

Ah nuts, conference signup is going to be pricy? >.<

I'll second Adams Forge, bout a 100 mike trip for you but worth the effort, 60 miles for me, been making the trip at least monthly for the last year. Look forward to running into you somewhere :)

And welcome aboard as well!

Good to see you introducing yourself Andrew, welcome to the addiction.

Thomas Powers has or had a pretty good system for controlling the heat in his shop if I'm not mistaken. If I AM thinking of someone else here's the basics. Whatever you build for the shop put a second roof on it on standoffs, at least 4-6". Put in large ridge vents and extend the eves past the inner roof. This shades the roof and the hotter shade screen roof draws quite a bit of air from the eves to the ridge vents.

Wait, I'm thinking maybe Thomas used stacked 55gl. drums for walls for good insulation in the heat. Of course I may be misremembering the whos of it. <sigh>

Anywho, get hooked up with the CBA, even if you can't make conferences and meetings they will know about any guys within visiting distance. I gotta say I don't remember much in the way of finding blacksmithing gear in the San Bernadino area but California is nothing if not full of surprises.

Frosty The Lucky.

To all,

Thank you for the warm welcome and the tips. I'll be sure to join CBA when funds allow. I hope to be at the conference in Vista, though it sure is pricey! I looked at the entry cost and may have some trouble convincing wifey. :)

I also plan on taking the intro class at Adam's forge to get my feet wet. And, for what it matters, I hope I didn't come off as lazy when I professed myself a dreamer. Part of the allure of this craft for me is the sweat, burns, blood and practice it will take to be great at it. 

Thank you all for the wisdom, and don't worry about the heat. I absolutely love heat, especially the dry kind and I hydrate very well. I'm was born and raised a desert rat, though I can't brag when comparing any of you folks out in Arizona or the like. 

Great hearing from you! Keep the tips coming!

Best regards,

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Well hello Andrew!

My name is Drake, i'm just starting out as well. I'm also here in South California, real close to Temecula, so we aren't to far away!

I don't quite have a forge or anything up at the moment (as i'm still pretty green) but hey i'm getting there slowly but surely!

ah nuts, I neglected to check if you were going to make it to Vista Andrew, I would have looked for you!  Did you end up going after all?

Drake, welcome aboard!  Take your time pulling equipment together, if it doesn't feel right or seems too pricey don't be afraid to walk away.  there will always (most of the time ;) ) be another one somewhere else, and failing that there are plenty of annual and semi-annual conferences with tailgating sections :)  pull up a chair, snack and beverage, pick a section and start learning!

Oh i doubt i'm going to walk away from the awesome that I've been missing for so long so easily. Heck, i'm already addicted and i haven't even started yet! ;) So far all i'm really missing is an anvil and a forge. Going to be hitting the scrap yards next week to see if i cant find at least a hunk of scrap metal to start with my anvil. I'm saving the forge for last, because it wont be hard to do (break drum forge), and it would be kind of pointless without the anvil haha

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long since I've responded. I've been quite busy the last few months and haven't even logged into the forum. I'v recently moved further into the middle of nowhere and have a new baby girl that could be born anytime. life is good, but hectic. Still haven't got a forge together but I dearly wish to soon.

Chinobi, unfortunately I did not make it this year. It simply wasn't in the budget, though I was very sorry not to go. How was it?

And Grey, I'm glad to not be alone in the green department. I actually ended up finding my anvil down in Escondido, so I know it's not too bad a drive. What do you hope to achieve with blacksmithing?

New baby---boy is life going to change!  One thing we did is to split up taking care of our daughters to give the other spouse a free weekend; we are both crafty folk, my wife is a spinster and I'm a smith---a steel wool couple.  So once the kids were weaned I'd watch them so my wife could take a weekend off at a fiber conference and then she'd watch them so I could take time off to go to a smithing conference.  *EVERYONE* needs some time for themselves now and then!  Even earlier I'd take them for some time every day to let my wife focus on something she wanted to do---even though I was the breadwinner and she was a stay at home mother.

Of course we're expecting grandchild #7 this fall

Mr Powers,

I greatly appreciate your wisdom. My wife is very ambitious, with lots of interests (like me!) and one of my goals in life is to be able to give her the time to pursue those interests. I'm blessed to have her and her support in my eclectic hobbies. We hope to raise our children to do the same, and it means a lot that you take time out of your day and help us pursue that. I am deeply in thanks for you words. Can't wait till I'm waiting on grandchildren!

And Chinobi, I'm glad to hear it was a good time. Hope to be there next year!

Hey I've been trying to give ballpeen hammers to the grandkids for *years*---their mothers disagree.  (I still have their mother's hammers---mini french crosspeens with their initial carved into the bottom of the handles)  

I am eagerly awaiting the time the grandkids can strike!

One thing to remember is with young children: YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL.  Cultivate patience and remember that your family is a far more important job than anything else.  Blacksmithing tools don't go bad if you only can uses them sporadically.  One thing I would do was to have a face shield for the kids and mini hammers and mini anvils and a "safe" place in the shop for them to work.  No lead solder is easy for them to hammer on and you can melt it and pour it and use it again...

And Frosty, thank you too for your well wishes. It means a lot that you guys would take time out of your day.

Thank you for sharing such a grand event! This is maybe the biggest darned family around, we all care about each other even when we'd like to slap each other silly. Frankly I'm glad I'm out of range when I get carried away on a thing. Sometimes I'll get into a conversation and be thinking what a . . . JERK. Then a while later I realize I was the JERK!

It's good to have family who let me off the hook when I need a good rubber chicken drubbing.

Oh about taking the time to help a brother celebrate a joyous event. There's ALWAYS time for happy news!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your kindness. It's been a while since last reply, but little Adelaide is here as of the 26th.  :D

Thought I'd update you all. Believe me Thomas, she will be raised with a hammer. lol. I found a little 2oz ball peen hammer that I'd like to re-handle and engrave with her initials. Luckily mom is on board!

Hope to be smithing soon. Possible trading a recurve bow for an oxy/gas kit so I'll finally be able to put together a forge.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Congratulations! :) I think it was Curly who made a wooden hammer and anvil for his little one to learn on, might be a little safer than metal for the first few years!

hope you can still find the time to keep up the craft and still play daddy at the same time :)