I Forge Iron

New member and NOOB to blacksmithing

E=mc²

Hello all!, I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and say hello. My name is Harry, I live in central Illinois with my wife and 2 children. I'm as green as the day is long when it comes to smithing. I'm looking forward to learning all I can and maybe one day pass this knowledge onto to others and my son. As of right now I have no tools other than a lot of wood working ones and some sledges. I'm the kind of person who would rather build it myself ,than spend the money to buy one that may not be up to my standards.

I've done some research ( very limited as of now) on homemade forges. I think the brake drum style may be right up my alley. We have large trucks at work so I may be able to score a large brake drum. My neighbor also drives large trucks and might be able to aquire one for me. My intentions are to do this as a hobby for now, with some side work for extra cash or trade.

I look forward to getting to know many of you and share in your knowledge of all things crafting related.

E=mc2:  Welcome to a lifetime of learning and enjoyment.  A brake drum forge is a great idea.  Do you have some type of metal for an anvil.  It doesn't need to be the classic blacksmith anvil, as you can tell by looking at different forums.  A rounding hammer, and some tongs and away you go.  Good luck!

This forum will be an excellent resource for you because many members on here create some very useful (and inexpensive) tools rather then buying them! Whats better is that they post pictures and blueprints on how they built them! Get comfortable, Grab a snack and a drink and dive in. Lots of knowledge to take in. Welcome!

-Crazy Ivan

Welcome to the forum!  You're gonna learn a lot here.  Spend some quality time searching and browsing through all the info on the site and most of your beginning questions will be answered in depth.  Good place to spend some COLD winter days with a cup of hot coffee or tea.  :)

X2 on Thomas' suggestion for a smaller brake drum.  I built mine, as did many others, using a regular drum off a car and it works just fine.

I've been thinking about the limitations of the Brake Drum / Rivet type Forge, for some time.

The problem with most Brake Drum or Rivet type Forges, is that they are too shallow for some projects.

They just don't concentrate the heat as well as a Fire Pot.

But a Brake Drum from a heavy truck doesn't solve that problem, ... unless you modify the interior.

It seems to me, that a ( roughly ) 8" deep, by 16" diameter Brake Drum, from a heavy truck or trailer, might serve quite well, ... if you added a "doughnut" of clay to the interior, ... thereby creating a classic "Duck's Nest" Fire Pot about 5" deep, ... while retaining the virtues of the flat Rivet type Forge.

I think a ring of Clay, or Refractory Cement, would really help concentrate the heat in the center, while simultaneously compensating for the excessive depth of the truck-size Brake Drum.

I've never actually tried this, ( got too many Forges now :rolleyes: ) ... but it seems reasonable, to me.

Welcome check out Ivba. Not sure where you are but mindy Gardner is in farmer city. It is hard to beat her work. Roger Lorrence OS just north of there in bellflower. Steve Parker is near and many other excellent smiths

I'm using an 11" brake drum forge and it's served me well w/ a 2" pipe and 3 bars of 1/4" sq welded across.  A larger and deeper drum may very well suit you if you're using charcoal, but not so much if burning coal.  Do you know what type of fuel you're going to use?

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. Thanks for moving this thread to the proper area, I didnt realize there was an actual section for intros. guess I should have scrolled down further.

@Dan, I would like to use coal, but may have to resort to charcoal. Here in central Illinois, we have a soft coal with high sulfer content.

For right now, my time is mainly going to be spent doing research and learning all I can, as well as aquiring materials for my forge and scrap metal. This winter is proving to be a great one for reading, as it's been crazy cold.