I Forge Iron

Tell me again why you need a London pattern....

The ingenuity of blacksmiths around the world astounds me. I stumbled across this video whilst looking for something else.

The anvil appears to be a slab of steel. Thought I particularly like the bellows seen towards the back. 

I'm often impressed by those people who make do with what they can. A few videos come to mind. A smith forging billhooks in India for one. 

And a video of some gentleman in Cambodia forging on an artillery shell.... Though I can't find the link. 

To see what these guys can do on a simple block of steel puts many of us to shame, particularly with our quest to get specific anvils. 

Share your videos of smiths improvising if you have them. I for one am intrigued. 

Cheers 

Andy

Andy, I worked in India with some smiths and they used a piece of railway iron to begin with, and did some amazing things with it!! After a few weeks I gave them some money for tuition and they went and bought a chunk of tool steel-- about 20cm x 20cm x 30cm and proceeded to forge it into a mushroom style anvil. Was an amazing thing to watch!!!

lol Thomas I know what you mean, but you get used to working like that and they are so much fitter than we are in the west, as they are used to their bodies sitting squat like that, we "civilized" sitting in chairs all the time are actually harming our bodies by doing so!!!

Andy, I worked in India with some smiths and they used a piece of railway iron to begin with, and did some amazing things with it!! After a few weeks I gave them some money for tuition and they went and bought a chunk of tool steel-- about 20cm x 20cm x 30cm and proceeded to forge it into a mushroom style anvil. Was an amazing thing to watch!!!

Awesome! I read about that on your website. Very interesting, and quite the experience I bet.

Will you be attending the blacksmiths festival this year?

Andy

post-42888-0-13608100-1390615102_thumb.j

These scream anvil to me, spring steel crane counterweights (I have no idea why they are spring steel I guess it is a anti-flex thing)

I offered to loan some pieces to a group for temporary anvils they said they would rather go without. So what do I know!

Ah yes, but none of these guys grew up watching Wile E. Coyote dropping (or rather, trying to drop) London pattern anvils on the Roadrunner.  The problem is that we've all been brainwashed by Warner Bros.

What's interesting to me, is that in the west, blacksmithing is often described as being a (nearly) lost art. But in these parts of the world, there never would have been any discontinuity in the practice of smithing. I'd bet money that they have always had a smith in every village going as far back as anyone can remember.  

Amazing how snobbish we can get here.

Yahoo, those people who refused those are quite frankly fools, they look like perfectly useable lumps to me!!

MT my Rajasthani smiths had a very similar set up to the one in the Congo. I'll have to dig some pics out.

I would like to see how the Smiths I visited in India are getting on as they could barely make a living doing what they did. All the sons who would be expected to follow on had all gained other employment as it paid more than smithing. Sound familiar?

Not necessary at all but will admit I still like my anvils. Granted for making knives which is what I do I could get by with just about anything but I like the various features of my london pattern. 

Now that being said if I had to sell them off for what ever reason I would be trying to beat off crack heads to find a good chunck of steel to use. 

Wanted to add that first video is pretty cool That thing must weigh a ton lol. Nothing like being able to sit on your anvil while you forge. 

What's interesting to me, is that in the west, blacksmithing is often described as being a (nearly) lost art.

If I repair a 2 yr old combine harvester I get labeled a mechanic.

On a 20 - 30 year old machine I am a Fabricator/Machinist.

A 50 year old machine makes me a restoration engineer.

If I work on a binder, stripper or a winnower for the museum I am labeled a blacksmith.

For me they are all the same job, modern industry has taken the profitable parts of what was blacksmiths work, a wide ranging field of expertise and repackaged it into hundreds of specialized niches that cater for a specific market.

Blacksmithing is still here, just hidden behind a layer of shiny paint, the fairytale image of the traditional village blacksmiths shop died with the birth of standardized mass production and cheap rail freight in the 1870's.

• 3 weeks later...

Our team, the Brotherhood of Friendly Hammermen forge large billets on a non-traditional anvil for demos. The anvil is an Upset forged axle for a rough terrian loader, and the little one we travel with is a couple of hundred pounds of 4140.The last photo is the one I set into the earth outside my shop. 454# of axle.

These are great for sledging.

post-893-0-68046700-1392480143_thumb.jpg

post-893-0-44028200-1392480202_thumb.jpg

Yahoo: If the guys don't want perfectly serviceable anvils because they don't look right my only reply would be, "as you wish."

When I think about it, the horns on my two London pattern anvils are probably the least used feature, except maybe the pritchel hole. Then again I've used whatever was handy more times than I can count.

I tend to learn as much or more watching 3rd. world smiths than you might think. It's not that the guys I know and watch online aren't excellent smiths, the 3rd world smiths all use what they have. It's a good way to reduce a person's outlook and expectations to the true basics of the craft. You only really need: a hot fire, something to beat on and something to beat with, oh yeah something to beat.

Of all my field forges I really wish I'd brought out the axle I used in the Resurrection River forge. I don't know what it was off but the axle was a good 6" dia and the wheel flange about 12+" with 10, 7/8" bolt holes. The center of the wheel flange was slightly domed and a little hammer time and was smooth as can be. It had to weight a good 300lbs.+ and was hard enough to give the hammer a nice rebound.

The forge itself was really successful there was a prevailing wind blowing down the river so all I needed to do was make an upwind facing funnel for the blast. Everything but my hammers and one pair of tongs were found in and around the river. Dumped wreckage from the 64 quake. I surely wish I'd kept that axle, it was such a sweet anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.