I Forge Iron

Hay Buden, bargain or not?

I committed sight unseen to a 105lb Hay Budden anvil for $150, got it and found that about 2/3 of the tool steel face was mussing. There are some pitts but otherwise the iron wasn't beaten on too bad. The hardee holes are good too. I am now looking into how to repair the face as this is my first anvil. So how did I do? Pics to come

Ouch. I would ask for my money back.

Robb Gunter anvil repair method has been used many times and most people are very happy with it. But to use this method you will end up spending another 300 hundred or more on welding rods and grinding

The money spent to repair it would far exceed the value of and anvil

You maybe should have put your money back in your pocket and walked away.

You got an anvil and a lesson in making deals. You are the owner of the anvil so use the thing. There is still enough anvil left to use it and make your money back and then some. Use that money to buy another anvil. 

So it's missing over the sweet spot where most of the hammering takes place and you spent around US$1.50 a pound.

Very Bad deal

I once paid $40 for a 130# anvil with a great face and a missing heel and have bought other damaged anvils at around scrap rate---20 cents a pound.

Check out an old thread.  I can't figure out how to post an image or a link.  Whenever I try the page just freezes.  Anyway, there is an older thread that explains a process to add a new anvil face.  I have seen three others done in this manner and just completed one of my own.  I have pics in the gallery (remember, I am not smart enough to get them here).  I am very pleased with the results.  Good luck, Jerry

>www.iforgeiron.com/topic/16214-signs/

If you are really interested in forging metal I would simply set this one aside for now. You will spend a huge amount of time trying to fix it. If you are not a great welder then your attempt to fix would only end up with very poor results.

I would recommend just looking for another one. And what you find does not have to be a London pattern anvil like you have now. A hard block of steel will work great. Something like a old fork lift fork would be good. Many people can find old brokn ones. Cut off a foot or two and mount it standing up. Something with a face like 2" by 4" would be great. Or bigger. Fork lift forks are very hard steel. There are many post on this web site about using block anvils

Good luck

I repaired one once that was like that, but not as bad. I bought a piece of armor plate steel (I can't remember the alloy). Drilled through the body in three places in a line down the center. Tack welded the new steel on the face and use a long punch to mark it. Then drill and tap the new steel. counter sink the holes in the anvil body at the under side. Use long bolts to hold it together and weld the new face on. The trick was heat treating it. Did all that make sense?

• 2 weeks later...