I Forge Iron

2 propane tanks?

scruffy forge

im wanting to link 2 propane tanks to one burner. the reason im think of doing this is i keep loosing pressure after running my forge for a little bit and thats with turning it off between heats. i was think by useing 2 tanks i will slow down the time it takes for the tanks to freeze. the way i plan on doing this is to a hose from each tank to a T fitting and from that to the burner. im useing a 3/4 in burner.

so my questions are.

1, em i right about that?

2, will i have a issue with 1 tank trying to fill the other tank if they are not at the same levels?

3, has anyone done this? if so how did you go about it and did it work out for you?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

shon

The size tanks you are using are the problem by the sound of it. You are pulling more gas then the tank can produce. You could either get a 40+ lb tank so that does not happen (I run 40 lbers on a 2 burner forge all day with no problems) or you could put your tanks in a bucket of warm water to keep the liquid from feezing so quickly. I can't really speak on the 2 tank option as I have never tried it, but ultimately I think upgrading tank size would be in your best interest in the long run.

-Crazy Ivan

Hi Shon,

Propane is a liquid when in a container. Propane becomes solid at -40. Propane GAS that we use for the forge is the determined by the amount of surface area that can give off the gas. If we draw too much gas off the surface of the liquid the temperature drops in the container (Bottle). If you are using a 20-30 lbs bottle, put the bottle into a container of water (like a small garbage can or metal pail/tub. The water acts like a heat sink and the bottle takes a lot longer before it is a problem and freezes up). Propane tanks for a residence or a vehicle are mounted on their sides, to  create most surface area. This also means they have a different valve, so they only draw the Gas and not the LIQUID. If you accidentally draw the liquid, the flame will go through the roof. Soon no shop!!

I use 2- 100lbs tanks hooked together in parallel, this makes the surface area double and the draw from the surface half of what it was with one tank. Drywall people will sometimes hook 4 to 6 100lbs tanks together to try to heat up a place they are working, without the tanks freezing. You can get the proper PROPANE fittings from your local hose/fitting supplier.

Keep on freezing, that means you are working. Sometimes when the bottle freezes it is a sign to take a break anyway!!! :) :)

Neil

Neil

Yes you can hook up two tanks, they sell fittings to do that at propane service stores and RV stores.  The draw rate will balance the tanks as the one with less propane in it chills out and the pressure drops the one with more propane will preferentially feed the line until it also reaches the same pressure---it all works out in the end...

my 40lb tank, not full, was only pushing 8psi this morning in zero degree weather when I started it. I had to use warm water just to get to forging temps in the forge, glad I only needed a hand full of heats to finish the project and get back inside. 

Remember there is no substitute for safety and doing things the correct way.

If your tank is freezing up, your propane supply is not large enough for your application. You need to consult your propane provider and get the proper size tank.

I can run all day during normal temps, my forge is the economy forge from Diamondback Iron works. I average 12 psi for forging and 15 for forge welding. The thing is, I dont feel comfortable forging, from a safety standpoint, in my garage and obviously I dont store tanks in there. So It was a low of -8 Fahrenheit overnight and I fired the forge up first thing in the morning and the forge could not get to the pressure I usually use, so putting the tank in some warm water did the trick and quick. Are there any safety concerns with this practice?