I Forge Iron

Suggestions for education

I am sure this is probably on here somewhere, but I haven't had any luck finding it.

Most of my experience has been behind a mig gun and in fab shops building everything from offroad vehicles, welding pipe down to railings and anything I could find interesting.  The blacksmith bug kind of came along somewhere in there and I have some of it into the work I do, but mostly have been playing with building skills and depth to my knowledge.  After giving it some serious thought this last year, I have made the decision to invest some serious time this year into gaining more knowledge and skills.

After Christmas, I am mailing in my money to go spend 3 weeks in Sante Fe learning from Frank Turley.  I am also planning on making my way to the ABANA gathering this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other classes or events that I should look into?

I have also considered taking a big road trip and trying to see if I could find a few people that would be willing to open their forge to me for a week here and there or longer so I could watch and learn in exchange for being an extra set of hands or pushing a broom or whatever.  It is really about the learning and this is my year.

First thing I would do is join the rocky mountain blacksmithing group. I would also join california blacksmith assoc. and northwest blacksmith assoc. between those 3 group, you have access to some outstanding classes, clinic, blacksmiths shops and of course all the spring conferneces. Pick and chose as you see fit. Best money I have spent was joining CBA and NWBA!

Frank has a great reputation, and so I think that is a very good idea. If you have the resources to do it, the wanderjahr could teach you a lot, and not just about blacksmithing.

The thing I find about these kind of skills, and perhaps it's just me, is that a days worth of teaching takes me months to absorb and use. I have to take what I've been shown home and live with it for a while before it becomes part of my tool kit.

If you do this thing, and you get as far as the Seattle area, look me up. I'm primarily a bladesmith, but I know most of the local smiths.

As to steels, there is a ton of information here, I'm sure a search for steel types would uncover more than you can use. From my point of view there are two kinds of steel. Steel without enough carbon to harden (anything with less than 0.40 carbon) and carbon steel. Mild steel is all about shear and torsion, more than that and you need a mechanical engineering degree. Carbon steel is all about the environment it's going to work in. For hand held application, simple alloys work pretty well. It gets pretty specialized after that, an engineering degree comes in to it.

If you really want to know about the interactions of vanadium and cobalt as alloy components, get thee to school young man. If you want a recipe for heat treating a specific steel, a search here should turn that up.

Geoff

Heck!

blast!

surprised I haven't seen Brian Brazeal's class mentioned yet.  He offers a 5-7 day program at his house from what I have gleaned.  I haven't partaken of it myself but I have seen (and you can find threads here for yourself) the products turned out by his students and they are top notch.  You will be hard pressed to find better value for your dollar than from attending any of the schools offered by members here, Turley, Brazeal, Aspery, Powers to name a few.

fingers crossed that I will be able to find the time to do the same one day :)

Reitenger,

Education is always where you find it. Sometimes we get schooled through circumstance, good and bad. Seeing as how you have the choice as to when and where, try a few different venues. The west coast group offers a large number of small get togethers that are well attended and reasonable in cost. There are many skilled smiths in the southern states. Clay Spencer, to name one, is from Alabama and he teaches at the Campbell school. He has an admirable skill level with anything iron, he is ingenious in his approach and he is a joy to know. The New England school of metalwork in Maine is highly regarded, they teach both technical industrial welding and a variety of task specific blacksmithing and blade work classes. Dereck Glazier is a master smith and a fantastic teacher. His classes sell out in short order. In the summer months they bring in guest smiths from all over. Watch their web site for updates. I believe all the regions of the US have great resources for learning and many seasoned smiths willing to share their knowledge.

The ironworkers trade was traditionally taught in house through apprenticeship programs. You slaved away for a master smith and he taught you the how-to, introduced you around and then you made your was as a journeyman. Frequently the job came with room and board and minimal pay. The european programs were somewhat more structured and until this day they offer master smith certs. Fact is most of the professional ironworkers and machinists in Europe do all their training in house. It may be 2013 but they still utilize a modernized version of apprenticeship systems. I was in attendance as a company rep at a manufacturer of cranes in Austria, the Lieber Group. They start their apprentices out in High School. At 18 they do 2 years in the Austrian military and then they return to work their way up in the company. Most do come back and they stay for life with one outfit. As you can see this master to trainee approach has merit.

Good luck to you.
Peter

CBA as well as BAM were already on my list, and I will add NWBA to that.  I have been toying real hard with the idea of going to the forging on the river thing in Memphis this year.  Partially for the experience and chance to make new contacts and for the opportunity to look the place over.  I would love to be able to do their 2 year apprentice program.

I was completely unaware that Powers did any teaching.  Assuming it is the same Thomas Powers posted above?  If so, I will have to check into that as I have probably read half of the posts on this board and his posts have been very useful and educational at times.  Will have to look into Brazeal and Aspery.

Njanvilman- pm me info about the museum.  Things like this are why I started this thread.  I am going to take the year to absorb as much knowledge and make as many contacts as possible and while I am out in the small states I would love to spend some time learning.

Geoff- I agree with a day of learning taking time to absorb and utilize.  I am hoping that by taking a year and learning and watching as many others as possible I will see different things done different ways and then spend years utilizing the knowledge I have absorbed.

Greetings Reit,

Sounds like you want to jump in as deep as you can...   All the above suggestions are super...  I have been at it for 40 years and still relish any time with another experienced smith..  Or for that matter a newbie.   Surprising what you can learn form a student..  Lets see ... Frank ,  Brian  ,  Clay at John Campbell  ,   Josh In NJ ...   I teach at my shops in Michigan and you are always welcome..   Gas up the truck and get at it..  I wish you well      ( I teach for janitor services ) LOL

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

You mentioned "After Christmas, I am mailing in my money to go spend 3 weeks in Sante Fe learning from Frank Turley.  I am also planning on making my way to the ABANA gathering this year." 

Frank will light your rocket for take off with instructions that are supported with a firm foundation of proven basics.

There are many good instructors out there who mainly teach, and there is also many exelent blacksmiths who will assist you that are found in local blacksmithing groups.

But the only one that will be of any value to you is the ONE that you expose your self too.

"It is up to you to follow through with action."  

A "PROVEN" instructor that will present the basics to you in an understanable way is foundational for your growth and is cost-effective of how your time and money are spent in the long haul. 

I suggest that you read, read, read, and figure out who is speaking with wisdom and then give it a try. 

My best to you as you move forward. 

For an craft that almost met its death, I am often astounded as I read through this board at the quality and generosity of the people here that keep these skills alive.

I am planning on taking the Turley class in May, and from there I am going to wander up to the ABANA convention.  I may try to book another class or two in between, but I think as time gets closer I am going to try to hook up with different smiths and groups along the way to spend time at the fire with.  Between now and then I am going to finish putting together my road outfit and getting the old Ford and Alaskan camper ready for a few months on the road.

I have been to Frank Turley's short class, one of the best things I did for myself. Learn good skills before you learn wrong ways and try to undo them. Beware of the forging bug and pay attn to the contributors of IFI.......... btw, the bug will bite and you will be hooked. Have fun.

Vince Smith

I'm one of the people that took a week class with Brian Brazeal. To me it is very much worth the time and effort. I can't say enough good about going there. From what others have seen in person of what I brought back skill wise, learning, and what was made, there were several others that have shown an interest in going to him to learn what he helped impart to me,.

Rashelle

As it stands right now, I am planning on going to Frank's in May, then on to Brian Brazeal's in June with a stop of a week or so in the Dallas area in between.  Would love to hook up and see a couple of shops in the Dallas area and maybe learn something new while I am in the area, or really anywhere between point A and B of that leg of my summer

I would suggest ONE THING.

Because you will have exposure to many aspects of the craft by the time you end your trip;

I make the following suggestion.

As soon as you return, get out into the shop and repete everything you have been exposed too with out delay.

That way it will become confirmed as workable knowledge.

Your memory will be fresh and you will remember all of the "seemingly small details" that are very important in the long run.

You are doing what many would sure like to be able to do. 

Good for YOU!

How about a report about your journey when ya get back!

I was planning on keeping a running commentary of the whole trip either on here or starting my own blog for the duration.  Figure that with all the iron I want to see and the fact that I will be forced to wet a hook in every state I pass through it might get me lynched on here.

I just completed the five day Brian Brazeal class and can report that you will not be disapointed with this decision. It surpassed all that I had read about it. Brian and Karen are great and the forge skills taught go way beyond all the tools you will leave with.
Enjoy your trip and keep us posted.