I Forge Iron

Flat drive belt problem for Beaudrys hammer

Hi guys,

Can anyone shead some light on connecting the connectors like the ones below?

I purcased a new wider belt for my hammer and wondered about the connection plates.

Its the old loop and bar type and I am having a nightmare as you can see from the photos.

The fella how supplied me the belt and connectors said just slowly close the loops together in a vise....simple.

Simple is not the case. The staples are copper and very soft, the loops are at the wrong angle for the vise and the staples need to puncture the 6mm belt and pass through the other side of the loops.

They come on a paper guide/ support which fell apart in no time.post-45965-0-27950700-1386781636_thumb.j

post-45965-0-73634200-1386781686_thumb.jpost-45965-0-27639500-1386781725_thumb.jpost-45965-0-60552900-1386781770_thumb.j

As you can see I need to buy another strip. Something's are made to wind you up I guess.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Normally a hammer is used to secure these. The link below is to a lacing type that does not require special installation tools according to the web site. The most important part is to keep the lace square to the belt center line.

http://www.flexco.com/products/alligator_lacing.html

Try to find the manufacturer's installation instructions for what you have. You may have been sold something that requires a special installation tool/machine. If so then you should switch to a different type that does not require special tools.

Normally a hammer is used to secure these. The link below is to a lacing type that does not require special installation tools according to the web site. The most important part is to keep the lace square to the belt center line.

http://www.flexco.com/products/alligator_lacing.html

Try to find the manufacturer's installation instructions for what you have. You may have been sold something that requires a special installation tool/machine. If so then you should switch to a different type that does not require special tools.

Thanks Andrew,

I thought maybe some sort of crimping machine is needed to do the job properly. I have tried fixind the lugs individually but no joy there!!!

The copper staples just dont seem man enough to puncture the belt, urgh!!!

Is there an old company that still uses or used such belts that might have the correct equipment and supplies?

Where I live old farm equipment often uses flat belts and so farm equipment dealers still have the needed items to make and repair flat belts.  Not finding anthing like that I would get in touch with a steam engine club as people who restore and demonstrate old steam driven farm equipment often has flat belt materials.

Greetings John,

I do a lot of flat belts and have most of the equipment to properly lace them..  For those type of connectors I would align them up on a through bar aprox 3/16 .   Than I would apply some tape to keep them straight which would act like the paper but stronger..  Next align the clips on the belt...  Next take 2 flat bars aprox 1/4 x 1  about 10 inches or so and place over the area to be crimped..  Now apply clamps 3..or 4 and squeeze.. a little at a time....  After setting the lace you can further set them on the anvil with one bar and the good old hammer...  I hope I explained it well enough..  If I can help more let me know..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Johnnie,

What I do when repairing belting for lineshaft equipment ,

- Place a soft piece of wood in a press
- Place belt with staples and loops on top of wood (exit side for staples down)
- Place a piece of flat bar on top of the staples and slowly come down with press
- After compressing remove the belt from the press, remove piece of wood which will
be stuck in place and fold over staples.

Allways has worked for me, but none of the staples I have dealt with were copper but
hopefully this might help.

I use a product called Alligator belt lacing which is available from Mcmaster and can be installed very easily with just a hammer. I do have a local shop that can install the type of lacing you have posted, but I have found the Alligator style to be just as effective.

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

I have bought the Alligator lacing strip.

The down side is I had to buy a full box as the supplier wouldn't sell individual strips.

So if anyone in the world wants Alligator connectors no27 just ask!!! I have lots!!!

I use alliugator lacing on my belts as they dont require special tools. Look up conveyor belting in your phone book. I found that companies that supply industrial conveyor builders are helpful and have often just given me the tiny peieces needed for my belts. Many forms of belt lacing will require special tools to instal properly.