I Forge Iron

The forge build begins

Sam Salvati

Started work on a new forge, from the ground up a few weeks ago, i figured instead of keeping with my little forge in a much larger space i should build that big forge I always wanted to have but didn't have the space for. Built the table already, 3 foot by 4 1/2 feet wide and long, and started on the firepot from 3/8ths thick plate. Got most of the firepot built today, tuyere down pipe, clinker breaker/air grate, and ash dump door. It is so nice to be able to have access to all the proper equipment you need to fabricate something, drill presses and all sizes of drill bits, welder, plasma cutter, all the steel you need AT HAND. Now it is liberating to be able to focus on th epeice instead of having to focus so much on how and where you'll get the materials and proper equipment! I'll have som epictures up hopefully tommorrow.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam,

Sounds like you have found your own little patch of heaven! I am envious, as I have to scrounge just about everything. Not that my scrounging abilities aren't stellar, but I spend more time looking for materials than I do working on the projects... Of course there is always that sense of accomplishment when you have $0 in a project because it was all scrounged:)

Oh absolutely. Most of this steel I am using is off the "drops" rack, so hopefully it will be as close to free as possible, free is good as I am poor hehe. One thing I would not do again though is make a firpot, while it is fun there is just alot going on, almost cheaper to just buy one.

I know what you mean about having all of the tools on hand. Here on the farm, we have most everything but the plasma cutter. I hate going to a friends house to fix something and thinking, oh I'll just throw this in the fire and we'll fix it right up.:rolleyes: Or, what do you mean you don't have a TIG welder and lathe?:D

Dave

:D Dave.

Aaron, I had to cut out the basic shape from 1 foot square, then cut out the shapes, then trimmed them until they fit, then filled the spaces. I tried to figure out how to layout the shapes, so I could also ghet the angle depth and length and width, but just COULD NOT figure it out. So just cut, then trimmed, and trimmed, and trimmed, then filled. I finally got it, but also filled in alot of spaces with some scrap bits from trimming, and some welds:D(it ain't pretty but it is SOLID).

Also, got the pot and tuyere(all one solid peice now) finished up today, and got it inset into the table top. I'll have some pictures tommorrow, forgot my camera today. Gonna attach the blower pipe tommorrow, or when I can get to it again. Looks good, everything is solid and tight, fits good, acannot wait to fire it up!

Sam,
A suggestion, nextime try laying it out on cardboard and folding that up.
You can bend it to see "What if???", its easy to trim and when your happy with the result you have a pattern to cut too. Also you can move the bits around for best fit to the material your cutting up, see which bits best fit which drops. Less time, less waste, less fixing misteaks ;-) (pun intended)

Think model.

On the drops note, got a nice pile of drops/offcuts tonight, from a fab/repair shop that rebuilds mining equipment. Now to use those 4" thick bits. Suggestions are welcome. Any suggestions for "Bisalloy" (if thats how to spell it??) I know its used as wearplate.

Rusty_iron
Brisbane, Oz.

For my coal forge I used the axle cover from a 1937 banjo rear end. Ground out the interior ridges and bearing holder and welded on the air pipe and an L to mount a swinging ash dump to. Bought two of these axle covers that had been converted for use as jackstands (and so no use to restorers) for under US$5 so I have a back up---the first one is about 20 years old now; is in it's3rd forge table and shows little wear; looks like I'm set for life...

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to get some pictures! All that is left is to add a blower/bellows and a chimney and it is time for the first lighting! Firepot was welded from 3/8ths thick plate, tabletop is 1/4 thick plate as is the rim. Firepot is about 9 by 10 inches. Built everything myself! The firepot says SAM SALVATI 2007.

3803.attach

3804.attach

3805.attach

Nice forge ya got there, Sam. :) That's a good looking future tomahawk . . . I mean ball peened hammer laying with the fire pot in that second picture! ;)
My grandfather was a mechanic. He passed away in '92 just before I got out of the Army. His tool box is wasting away in the garage of my mother's house. Last year I found his ball peened hammer - in good shape- a punch, a chisel and a body hammer. I carried these in to my mother and asked her if I could have them. Her response was, "You're not going to melt them down are you?!" "NO!" Said I, "I'm going to use them! I need tools for my forge!"
I like the ball peened better than my cross peened hammer.
Anyway, I thought it was a good story.
Now we need to see some new blades from your new forge. I'm still in enamored by that custom seax you made.

Thanks guys! Ecart, that is one of my very first hammers i EVER used for smithing, no way it will ever be turned into anything else while i am alive:D. Good story, GREAT to hear you got that awesome hammer that was your grandfather's!!!!

Steve, I HOPE SO! I wil have the chimney up soon and then will christen it with the first fire.

James, you might be looking at the circular handle on the end of the rod? That is the door handle for the ash dump door. The big peice of round on the other end of the clinker breaker rod is the weight to keep the clinker breaker level in the firepot, and the square peice of plate is the handle to turn the clinker breaker.

THANKS TED! Ted, you want in you are, no forms needed! Ted i hope one day to be able to write a book and share all the information i have learned so far!

Great work Sam! Ain't it a great feeling when you can come up with the materials and turn them into something else? Not extremely viable as a buisness but xxxx fun as a hobby. Good for the environment and stretches the mind after a long day in the box. Mine definately ain't as pretty or well planned out as that one.

Hiya Sam.
Your forge looks really good! Very neat job! :cool:
May she heat stock in no time at all:D
Do you think coal will stay in the firepot in a zero gravity eviroment?May have to do some fancy dodgework, having all those hot coals drifting around!!:D
What do you use for a blower?
Bb

EC, you are certainly 100% right! This looks [planned out? Haha no the only thing i measured was the firepot, and i messed that up sort with not the right angles so i had to use the cutoffs to fill the voids! Nothing a good heaping helping of weld wire didn't fix though:D. I am thinking of painting it to keep it from rusting( any more than it already has) black with some red pinstripes, or maybe green with yellow.

Andre, THANKS!!!!!!1 I will have to ask Thomas Powers about the zero G forging, he knows MUCH more than i do:D. For a blower i will probably go with this one from Blacksmiths Depot

Blacksmiths Depot | 164 CFM Blower

The forge looks good so far. I'm making a similar one, but I purchased a cast iron firepot from Blacksmiths Depot. That thing is a beast but it's expensive. The rest of mine was free. All of the angle iron I used is from bed frames. One thing I added was adjustable feet on the legs. I used a plate with a through hole and a 1/2" nut welded on, and a 1/2" bolt for the foot. A jam nut will keep it from shifting. Your floor looks fairly level, but it's much easier to add now before it's all set up. It will give me a little flexibility in the chimney hood height as well, since I'm venting out of a fixed point in a block wall.

Let me know if you get any videos of space forging. The fire would be spherical because there is no "up".

Forging in Space: induction or solar power concentrated by mirrors. Remember if you are in a vacuum the piece will stay hot a lot longer---quenching is more of a problem! Adiabatic expansion of gasses or press quenching is suggested. A stream of high pressure water can be used but it will be very messy.

Also you will have to be anchored to your anvil (or both anchored to the same thing) Power in your swings will all be kinetic as no gravity assist. Powerhammers will be a bit more exciting to use but presses will work pretty much the same...

Me and a bladesmith spent some time working out the mechanics of space smithing about 25 years ago...