I Forge Iron

Little Giant Platform

Greetings Mike,

All you have to do is put together a platform about 3 1/2 by 6 of 4x4s with threaded rod..  Position so the treadle is comfortable from all positions in the front.   I use large carriage bolts from the bottom and lock her down..   You won't even have to secure it to the floor..  LGs run smooth and will not rock like your tire hammer..  Had mine this way for years..  You can add a stall mat pad also and your good to go..   Now go make something...  LOL

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Mike,

I have my 200# Bradley mounted on 6x8 timbers. I used allthread to tie them together to make about a 4x7 foot platform. I used 4x4x3/8 angle iron to tie the platform to the floor. Works really well. I don't stand on the platform and the treadle doesn't reach the floor. I put a block between the treadle and the anvil to use as a foot rest. I don't think the LG has enough room for a block but a piece of angle iron bent around the anvil works well to. Its nice to have a foot rest when the treadle is way up off the ground. Good Luck!

in my first shop I used 4 good quality rr ties and bolted thru w/ all thread. then two perpendicular. underneath. bury to suit. there is enough for my 25 LG and my treadle hammer side by side. this is a great combo. top & bottom fuller on treadle to define the transition, step to lg & draw out to length, step back to anvil and finish. 1" sq bar oneheat,, sweet.

my second platform,I had some nice ponderosa logs. used my chainsaw and alaskan mill and milled my timbers. joinery was hand forged carriage bolts & forged washers that were drop from old jobs. Hardware was all countersunk as were the bases for both hammers. very satisfying.

I lifted mine on 4x12s through bolted with all thread. I made a treadle extension to get it back down to comfortable working height. Unfortunately I couldn't find pics of it with the extension. I keep it from walking in use by anchoring it into a gozinta, she rocks but stays put.

Frosty The Lucky.

post-975-0-56085300-1385838810_thumb.jpg

Hi divermike,

I have been planning for this idea too.  I intend to leave a pair of pockets just the right size for lifting with a pallet jack.  

Consider a block to rest the heel of your treadle foot, at the right height.  I used a hammer doing points like this for many hours.

enjoy,

AndrewOC

I used 4" by 6 "kiln dried oak planks, glued together, marine varnished, and enclosed in a welded, angle iron frame - bolted horizontally and vertically to the wood.  The power hammer was then bolted to the pad.  The pad was not bolted to the floor (concrete, 6") to allow some minor movement.  It works like a charm.  The base of the hammer (the oak part) just went through a major flood (Colorado) and survived just fine.

• 3 weeks later...