I Forge Iron

what is your process for heat treating a farriers rasp?

If the rasp is solid steel they are often something like 1090 or 1095 and would be heat treated the same as new steel of that type.  Some of the cheaper rasps are only case hardened and not going to hold an edge well... best to weld in a bit of higher carbon steel for those and heat treat according to the type steel used for the bit.

First thing I do is heat the tang up to non magnetic and quench half of it (the tang) in water.  Put it in a vice (wear safety gear) a inch or so up the tang and see if you can bend it.  A clean break means you're probably working with an all high carbon steel file.  If it bends or doesn't easily break then it may be case hardened.  Case hardened files are for rasp snakes, I wouldn't wast the time making them into knives.  Treat the high carbon ones like 1095 and you should be close.

anneal at approx temp 1550F for  few minutes

cool in vermiculite overnight

heat treat - same as anneal , 1550F for a few minutes

quench in canola approx 125-140F

temp -  425F for 60 , let cool repeat for 60min

here's  couple recent ones that are already posted.........good luck with it

DSC07994_zps35152189.jpg

DSC07603_zps0d80a0d6.jpg

working on this one at the  moment.......

IMG-20131009-02965_zps0c2d3dd9.jpg 

Those first 2 knives are why I decided to try a farrier's rasp knife. Thanks to all of you for the advice. IFI can really be a great resource. Rob the background selection as well as the look of those knives is top notch!

thank you sir , appreciate your compliments..............hope the heat treating tips help you some , good luck , look forward to your pictures !!

• 1 month later...

First thing I do is heat the tang up to non magnetic and quench half of it (the tang) in water. Put it in a vice (wear safety gear) a inch or so up the tang and see if you can bend it. A clean break means you're probably working with an all high carbon steel file. If it bends or doesn't easily break then it may be case hardened. Case hardened files are for rasp snakes, I wouldn't wast the time making them into knives. Treat the high carbon ones like 1095 and you should be close.

I just did this and WHAMMO!!! Good steel. Snapped off beautifully.

Thank you jmc!!! This one goes in the mental file cabinet!!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 11/6/2013 at 9:05 AM, BCROB said:

anneal at approx temp 1550F for  few minutes

cool in vermiculite overnight

May u email me a pic your heat treated rasp color. I couldn't see them here

email address removed per TOS

Id like to see how yellow the rasp should be as well as a 1095 steel please

BCROB last posted here in 2017; you may have a long wait for a reply!   You do know that digital pictures are unlikely to be the true colour of hot items right?  Now if this is about low temp,  "temper colours", "straw" is a descriptive term.  It's suggest you try something and see if YOU like the results.  For blades I make for myself I often temper differently than for ones made for other people.  (I like being able to sharpen on a good arkansas stone and not need a diamond hone!)