I Forge Iron

need saw blades

Cutting carbon steel, requires bimetal blade?. I was trying to cut carbon steel with a high carbon steel bandsaw blade, yeah for about a minute, does anyone have a good scource for bimetal bandsaw blades. Any help would be appreciated, thank you Sean.

Water-based or very thin oil lubricant helps with cutting with a hacksaw, or even a slow speed metal bandsaw. Name brand, quality blades from an industrial supply house will cost more than cheapo's from a home supply store.

Don't expect the speed of cut that you would achieve in even dense, dry oak. There is a reason that blacksmiths cut steel red hot with a chisel shaped tool.

Cutting carbon steel, requires bimetal blade?. I was trying to cut carbon steel with a high carbon steel bandsaw blade, yeah for about a minute, does anyone have a good scource for bimetal bandsaw blades. Any help would be appreciated, thank you Sean.

Saw Service of Washington (SSW)   www.sawserviceofwa.com/

• 2 weeks later...

All bi-metal does for you is give the blade some flexibility if you jam it. They will bend instead of snapping in half. They have a hard edge welded onto a flexible back. I only use bi-metal in my sawzalls, as they are constantly getting jammed up, and I can straighten them out with some pliers when they get bent.

For a hacksaw , a solid HSS blade should work fine. Make sure that you have at least 3 teeth touching the part at all times, or you may strip teeth. Take it easy, and use some lube on the blade if it is tough going.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the steel fabricating business and for knives for a hobby.  I am a big fan of Lenox blades. But they are expensive. I have use them in my vertical and horizontal DoAll saws for 30 years. I recently started using a Disston saw blades. I get them from lehighvalleyvbrasives.com. About 1/3 cheaper and so far I am pleased. It has only been a month or so and so far so good. Lehigh Valley Abrasives has a lot of other good stuff also. 

Bill G.