I Forge Iron

Where can I start?

Hey! Im 13,and want to get into blacksmith. I dont know where to start. I am planing to make a brick forge. is that a start? what exactly can I do to get going? Should I start big or small? My Initial intent is to make knives and just play around with different metals. Post your suggestions,ect!

I'd suggest starting by adding your location so we know where you are located. Many local blacksmithing groups have open sessions where you can go and watch and learn as well as get your hands dirty and try it yourself. PABA ( Pennsylvania Artist Blacksmith Assn) usually has at least one forge set up when they have a meet that is dedicated to letting people try blacksmithing as well as allowing members to do quick demos to help others learn. . You might also find one of the guys here who would be willing to help you along, assuming we know where you live roughly.

I'd suggest starting by adding your location so we know where you are located. Many local blacksmithing groups have open sessions where you can go and watch and learn as well as get your hands dirty and try it yourself. PABA ( Pennsylvania Artist Blacksmith Assn) usually has at least one forge set up when they have a meet that is dedicated to letting people try blacksmithing as well as allowing members to do quick demos to help others learn. . You might also find one of the guys here who would be willing to help you along, assuming we know where you live roughly.

Just did that,something that came to my mind,Il be running a coal forge. So,Il need some good coal! What can I use to find good,local suppliers? Just yellow pages or what
?

the sticky's also labled as PINNED,  are at the to of this page,  each section has PINNED topics to read before postsing. they contain the most asked fro information and common answers.

Doing that,thanks!

Start by reading the sticky threads on this website. 

Doing that now!

start by reading this excellent book: The Complete Blacksmith by alexander weygers

Il check it out,thanks!

As you're 13 lets start with things you must do and should not do.
Please give your parents a heads up. Burning down the neighborhood or burning, cutting or mashing off digits would be bad. At least mom and dad can help keep that chance to a minimum. Not to insult you but a 13 year old brain hasent fully developed and things that a 21+ year old would catch you might over look. Do wear jeans, leather boots and a cotton shirt. No exceptions, plastic will not even start to shield you from hot steel and it will turn in to burning sticky goo. Eye and ear protection another nonnegotiable.
Never use galvinised, painted or chromed steel (stay away from scrap brass to) they will kill you. Don't steal mom or your sisters hairdryer, don't huff the yellow green smoke of the coal, it will kill you, just slower.
I know I sound like a grown up.
That said, their are smiths on this sight that have started younger than you right here on IFI. Welcome to our addiction.
And to your mom and dad. With proper supervision this isn't any more dangerous than riding his bike around the neighborhood. Yes, he will get burns, cuts and scrapes, but so have you it's part of growing up. I don't think Glenn will mind if one of you signs up to, if you do, and you have questions, IM me and I'll try to help, or post them and some one will answer you.
Buy the way, I "barowed" moms hairdryer 30 years ago, she still holds a grudge.

Buy the way, I "barowed" moms hairdryer 30 years ago, she still holds a grudge.

Thanks for the heads up and all,most of the stuff I knew. Iv dealt with fire alot so I know the jist about clothe safty and what will and wont burn,and I dont think I can pull off a forge in the back yard without my parents knowing! If anything they will be the prime funders. Im in a cast all week (Fell on a skateboard going down a hill) So Iv been,and will be on the computer alot. Just researching about all this. I have this week of school off so its a perfect time. I will definitely be Messaging you sometime with some questions. thanks for all the info!

I learned the hard way to try out the equipment of others before purchasing or building any equipment.  That way you can find out what equipment works best for you, prior to investing money and time. 

That said, I highly recommend finding a blacksmithing group close to you and participating in their learning opportunities.  I feel that the absolute best way to start, if possible, is to take an introductory course in blacksmithing.  That way you can get a jump start on knowledge and safety information, that otherwise might take many months to learn on your own.

Greetings CBM and welcome,

You just got some of the best advise from some of the finest blacksmiths around.  Take heed and walk before you run... Follow their advise ..  You live in an area where you can find some great start up help...  Just ask ... 

Forge on

Jim

So glad to see someone young interested in this. No offense to the older folks, but the ones that start young truly carry on the craft. as they have the opportunity and time frame to become truly gifted in the skill.

You're going to find far more information that you can digest on here. and finding someone local to you that can answer questions for you or that you can run things by before you start is a HUGE help. As in everything, you want to start small. You didn't drop into a half pipe the first time you stepped onto a skate board.

If you're good at scrounging you should be able to acquire everything you need for blacksmithing for little or no cost.

Here are the basic things you need.

a fire

fuel for the fire

air for the fire

something to heat up

something to beat hot metal on

and something to beat hot metal with.

after that it's a mater of technique.

everything on that list besides the fuel for the fire can be obtained for free if you ask nicely of the right people. Remember, an anvil doesn't need to look like an "anvil" it just needs to be something heavy (preferably metallic) with a decent flat area and some curves and corners.

a pipe, a pile of dirt and something to blow air into the pipe are all that are needed for a forge.

You don't need a large hammer to start with. a small ball peen hammer can get you started.

Most of the tools you need for blacksmithing you can make yourself once you've got the basic tools.

Actuality Th, if he uses charcoal, he can get fuel for free too. Both Fosty and Thommas have talked about forging by taking coals from a fire and using them. Not the most eficsint use of fuel, but construction scrap and palate can be found for free. I know I've head that nailes were some times made in fireplaces.

Welcome aboard CBM glad to have you.

Most of the charcoal smithing I've done has been around a campfire in the bush. there's not a lot I can add except to extend my own offer to answer whatever I can and If I don't have a good answer, make up something entertaining. I believe all the basic warnings have been rendered so I'll give you a break. Just don't think that because you're used to working with fire you'll always be ahead of the game. Fire can surprise you, sometimes long after you're sure it's out. Charcoal especially can be deceptive, most places fire code says you are responsible for a wood fire for up to three 3 days AFTER you "put it out." Coals can lay barely smoldering for day under a layer of ash and be revived by just a breath of air or a shift in the ash covering it.

Frosty The Lucky.

"Frosty, ...If I don't have a good answer, make up something entertaining"

Frosty, is that why we don't abbreviate Black smith to BS, it would reveal our true nature? but also I guess if we did abbreviate it a lot of beginner/novice black smiths (I count myself amongst the beginner group) would be elevated to Master BS far before we master the art of the Black Smith

"Frosty, ...If I don't have a good answer, make up something entertaining"

Frosty, is that why we don't abbreviate Black smith to BS, it would reveal our true nature? but also I guess if we did abbreviate it a lot of beginner/novice black smiths (I count myself amongst the beginner group) would be elevated to Master BS far before we master the art of the Black Smith

I've been pointing out the congruence of BS and abbreviating Blacksmith for I don't know how many years. You only just now noticed? Oh my feelings are crushed! <sniff sniff>

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Frosty,

I feel a new trophy coming on...  Just like the penny scroll one I made for my friend....    BUTTT it for sure will have a new theme...  LOL

Forge on and make beautiful things  OH MASTER

Jim

I can hardly hold my anticipation in check Jim!

Frosty The Lucky.