I Forge Iron

Traveler

MLMartin

Hello everyone

First off I want to say Thank You to Mr Dillon. He gave me my first opportunity to work with perfection artisans and exposed me to wonderful forged sculpture.

I started this piece 2 years ago when I was working with him once again over the summer. One afternoon we stopped shop work early and started "Forging Friday". He provided some material and the use of his grand shop. I started with a few sketches in soap stone and started forging from there. I think I used his 250lb Murry and his 500lb Bradley for the two main arcs.

Well the two parts sat in my shop for the past years and have looked very sad. So a few weeks ago I decided it was time to make them come together. First I sank and planished the bowl of the main arc. Then I hot cut and drifted holes in the two main arcs. This was overly time consuming as I had to do this by myself. The drifted hole is 1 1/2. Also as a side note. This is what leg vices are made to handle, and why I always recommend securing them tight, with the leg on the floor. Next I bent the curves. I was lucky my brother stopped by on the day I was going to make the base. It started at 1" by 3 1/2" by 30". I did all the sledge work and he brought the work from the forge to the anvil. I used a 20lb sledge for most of the chamfering. Hole was slit and drifted over the vise again. Where I could I riveted parts together. The main arc is balanced on a barring and will tilt back and forth maybe 25 - 30%. To achieve balance I have formed the orb hollow and then poured hot lead into it until equilibrium was met. The orb is raised and welded copper along with the arrow point and the rivets. To first set the horn shaped rivets on the bottom I set up a fixture using a second leg vice as a buck or anvil. The vise is clamped onto the horn side of the rivet and adds mass so I can heat and rivet the other side.

I still need to do a little finish work on the surface and decide how it will be coated. Wax for inside, or lacquer for outside.

The piece is approximately 4 feet tall and I would guess around 100lbs. I have about 10 days into this

I hope everyone enjoys it. I know I have been thrilled to see some of the wonderful work that is posted here.

Mackenzie Martin

Martin Forge Works

post-1847-0-50601000-1380205028_thumb.jp

post-1847-0-20000300-1380205099_thumb.jp

post-1847-0-49306600-1380205123_thumb.jp

post-1847-0-48839600-1380205179_thumb.jp

post-1847-0-33991200-1380205265_thumb.jp

post-1847-0-61596300-1380205300_thumb.jp

post-1847-0-67390900-1380205500_thumb.jp

Beautiful, I love it. I agree with Chinobi though, it has plenty of pointy parts and should go in a place where people aren't going to run into it. Be that as it may, it tells it's own story, really piques the imagination.

Frosty The Lucky.

i really like that mac! lovely to see a well thought out and finished sculpture - i love the shapes and the weighty- looking -ness of the ladle shape, also the little horns on the bottom strap are a great detail. the section in picture three is fab - its delicious!  i think the sharp bits really look good, the arrow heads and spikes, it is not what you'd expect :)