I Forge Iron

new vises

Rhettbarnhart

I recently bought a new bench and postvise.I got the post vise for 50$ but it was missing a leg....I fixed as soon as I got home and it works great now. 5in jaws@55lbs.

I also bought a bench vise at my granddads estate auction....5 1/2 in jaws idk ho many lbs....

I didn't have anything to mount them on so I made a table from scrap

before fixingpost-25948-0-58712200-1378343448_thumb.jpost-25948-0-73289000-1378343458_thumb.jpost-25948-0-94816100-1378343473_thumb.j

after fixingpost-25948-0-16472100-1378343487_thumb.jpost-25948-0-53292000-1378343508_thumb.jpost-25948-0-99745800-1378343598_thumb.jpost-25948-0-51542500-1378343622_thumb.jpost-25948-0-23884600-1378343661_thumb.jpost-25948-0-82888800-1378343690_thumb.j

vises and standpost-25948-0-22605200-1378343771_thumb.jpost-25948-0-42090300-1378343793_thumb.jpost-25948-0-56626000-1378343821_thumb.jpost-25948-0-94994500-1378343847_thumb.jpost-25948-0-32059200-1378343863_thumb.jpost-25948-0-77079300-1378343874_thumb.jpost-25948-0-04071900-1378343888_thumb.jpost-25948-0-64208800-1378343898_thumb.j

What do yall think?I can take more direct pics of parts if yall like

Rhett

post-42888-0-42914600-1378359376_thumb.j

Have you considered an outrigger plate to mount the vices out from the tables corners? I am assuming its not going up against a wall.

or with the bench vice, hinge the bolts on the front edge so that you can remove the back bolt and the vice swings right over and hangs below the bench. it requires making a funny shaped bracket to get it to tuck right under the bench but its a great party trick!

It would give you a big flat surface to work on when you need it. I do this with my mobile welding bench, without the vice in the way I can jig, weld and bend straight from the bench surface and clamp work on two edges. The vice on my bench hangs between the legs on one end or I can pull the hinge pin and take it completely off.

first rate bench, well done!

I've seen a lot of guys mount a 2" receiver or piece of 2" ID tube under the bench and build a removable vise mount just like pulling a hitch out of a truck receiver. When you need a clear top, pull the pin and remove vise. This also allows you to mount other tools to the table and remover them for storage. Grinders, benders, belt sanders etc. I've also seen some guys mount the 2" vertically in the top for similar use. Last use of these receivers is to lengthen your work area. You can slide a work support into the tube and support longer pieces if you do a bit of preplanning. I once saw a guy who had done this to his big fab table. You could extend the sides or ends out more than 3' by adding extension tubes in the receivers.

Greetings Rhett,

You did well with that find...  Great repairs and fab on the stand... It will serve you well.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

thanks Jim...I try

I like it!, Table looks very stout, and leg looks factory, good job

Thanks Marcus now I need some vises like yours!!

I would love to have a stand like that! Very nice.
Only thing I would add is welding a small plate to the leg on the floor for a pad for the post vice to land on. Saves the concrete from getting beat if you're pounding on the vise.

Ive been thinking maybe I need to put a plate on the leg.....

attachicon.gifvice bench2.jpg

Have you considered an outrigger plate to mount the vices out from the tables corners? I am assuming its not going up against a wall.

or with the bench vice, hinge the bolts on the front edge so that you can remove the back bolt and the vice swings right over and hangs below the bench. it requires making a funny shaped bracket to get it to tuck right under the bench but its a great party trick!

It would give you a big flat surface to work on when you need it. I do this with my mobile welding bench, without the vice in the way I can jig, weld and bend straight from the bench surface and clamp work on two edges. The vice on my bench hangs between the legs on one end or I can pull the hinge pin and take it completely off.

first rate bench, well done!

I had never thought of that....when I build a welding table I should do that!!

I've seen a lot of guys mount a 2" receiver or piece of 2" ID tube under the bench and build a removable vise mount just like pulling a hitch out of a truck receiver. When you need a clear top, pull the pin and remove vise. This also allows you to mount other tools to the table and remover them for storage. Grinders, benders, belt sanders etc. I've also seen some guys mount the 2" vertically in the top for similar use. Last use of these receivers is to lengthen your work area. You can slide a work support into the tube and support longer pieces if you do a bit of preplanning. I once saw a guy who had done this to his big fab table. You could extend the sides or ends out more than 3' by adding extension tubes in the receivers.

A hardy hole for tables!!

I've seen a lot of guys mount a 2" receiver or piece of 2" ID tube under the bench and build a removable vise mount just like pulling a hitch out of a truck receiver. When you need a clear top, pull the pin and remove vise. This also allows you to mount other tools to the table and remover them for storage. Grinders, benders, belt sanders etc. I've also seen some guys mount the 2" vertically in the top for similar use.

the under bench towbar receiver is a good idea, the vertical one can be a little hit and miss depending on the attention to detail of the fabricator.

:blink:  when I build a welding bench!!!! Hate to tell you Rhett, but what you have built looks suspiciously welding bench-like ;) you are 95% there already. I would make it multi-purpose and use it for everything.

i have met several smiths that also employ the trailer hitch receiver mount for things like vices, punches, and shears.  they also make a great grip for the post vice if the table receivers are full.  the farriers iv met like them for field work because they can mount straight onto the truck too.

I would also weld in a plate on the lower braces, maybe put angle iron on three of the sides.  Makes a great storage place, or a place to put some heavy items to give the table more mass.  Making the table heavier will help when bending or twisting stock.  I always find it amazing how easy it is to move large, heavy tables when using big wrenches.

the under bench towbar receiver is a good idea, the vertical one can be a little hit and miss depending on the attention to detail of the fabricator.

:blink:  when I build a welding bench!!!! Hate to tell you Rhett, but what you have built looks suspiciously welding bench-like ;) you are 95% there already. I would make it multi-purpose and use it for everything.

Yahoo I don't have power at my forge so a no go on the welding table / vise stand :(