I Forge Iron

When to break down and buy that piece of equipment?

Did you ever realize that your gonna' have to break down and buy that piece of equipment whether you want to or not? Ive said for years "Id like to have a cone" Well now Lisa is selling to many spiders/trivets and different kinds of chain configurations with rings in them..Do you know how aggravating it is to try and true up a 8"-10" ring on an anvil :wacko: Then its never really right anyway :angry:

My opinion, and experience is that as soon as you identify a piece of equipment that will really save you time and money it is your obligation to purchase it as a business person.  When I built a tumbler I remember thinking I wish I could buy another machine that would save this much time.  Same thing with the work truck, forklift, Air hammer, natural gas forge and induction heater.  Good equipment that is set up and ready to use is worth the expense.  Broken tools, excessive projects and clutter hold you back and sap your motivation.

A natural gas forge is on my wish list but we are waiting for a new shop..We have natural gas forge hook ups on our property and our natural gas is pretty cheap. A tumbler is absolutely on the next build list..We were just talking about that yesterday. Its funny you mentioned that.

Actually truing up a ring even on and anvil is not that tough after the first fifty or so,,,,And if your doing a pile of them the same size,,spend some time and weld pegs on a plate inside the first one you get close,,rotate it around and it will get loose or tight on pegs where it needs work. 

Buying can be emotional or financial. As Timothy said, spend a buck may be the wise way to go......However if the buy is just because you want one, then get it,,,,,,

Good equipment that is set up and ready to use is worth the expense.  Broken tools, excessive projects and clutter hold you back and sap your motivation.

So you're the guy who's been spying on me ..... :P

I tend to accumulate "projects" ... mostly because my ego won't let me admit that there are things that aren't worth fixing.

While it's true that  "I can fix anything" ;)  ... maturity eventually brings an understanding, that some things aren't worth your time .....

For the past several years, I've been on a "Crusade" around the Shop, ... putting things into 100% working condition.

And I've got to say, the result is VERY gratifying.

Everything you do, goes so much smoother, ... and because of this, the overall level of quality is enhanced.

Why did I put up with all the "temporary" measures, for so many years ?

Beats me.

Do you know how aggravating it is to try and true up a 8"-10" ring on an anvil :wacko: Then its never really right anyway :angry:

Yep. A nice cone is on my list as well. I'll be curious to see what ones you come up with as options.

Well, Ive thought about a ring roller espically for smaller trivets made from 1/8" flat stock..It would be handy to have regardless but we often make rings from 1/2" and 3/4" thick round stock for farm equipment(our own and familys). Im thinking of getting one of the salt fork craftsmans cones..We have one of their blocks and have been very happy with it..
 The tumbler is actually a much better example of what Im talking about (Thanks Tim) When you have a hundred items laying there waiting to be all brushed off by hand with a whirly bird you realize just how bad you need one :blink:  A tumbler is absolutely on my next to build list..

"this is what happened with my KMG I finally bit the bullet and made one Now it is like my right hand and a dream to work with as well as a blessing"  Amen, Samcro!  I don't have a clue how I did any work before building a KMG clone.

Tim, makes a good point.  You are in business to make money, not to make ironwork, and anything that you can positively identify as helping to reach that goal is something you need to seriously consider.

I would counsel you to take a few minutes and consider making forms for the various rings and chain you need rather than buying a cone.  While it's true you can make most any size ring on a cone, do you need any size ring or are you realistically only making a handful of different sizes that could be reproduced with simple forms?  Also, is this need possibly indicative of you offering the customer too much option?  It might sound odd, but a lot of companies learned the hard way that options cost money because it means they have to be prepared for a lot of eventualities.  

All that said, I recommend buying a cone simply because I've always wanted a cone and this way I can live vicariously through you.

I was going to mention the Salt fork cone, but couldn't find the link on this computer when I posted up earlier. I've been real tempted to get that and one of their swage blocks. If you go that route, let me know what shipping runs for you.

Working with a floor mandrel you'll get rings that are true in less than a quarter the time it will take you to get rings that look true when working on the anvil. If you are going to be doing a lot, the time saved will soon pay for the mandrel. And they will be true rings...

Greetings All,

I'm with Tim on this one..  In my down state shop when I was making a living at blacksmithing and metal art I purchased a good quality ring roller.  With it you can make all the jigs you will ever need to form rings.. Square and round stock..  It more than paid for itself by just the work I took in for other artist let alone my commissions.  I later bought the biggest power roller I could find and could form just about any thing.. This is true with most equipment . If you have the tools the work will come..  Take a deep breath and invest..  By the way I still have my manual roller and would never sell it..

Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim