I Forge Iron

Anyone forge a one piece anvil?

I've often thought that there'd be a market for a large post anvil that has a horn and heel for a hardy.  Bogdan Popov, from bladesmithsforum.com, came up with a great design that's only missing a hardy hole of some kind.

post-33451-0-79689500-1363343791.jpg

His work certainly seems to indicate that a hardy hole isn't necessary for some great work, but I've seen hundreds of posts on IFI where the guy pines for a square hole on his post anvil.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend Bill Brown stopped by yesterday so we had enough hands to give it a go. Started with a 2" block 8" square. Used a 1-1/4" to fuller the top bottom and sides under the Niles. The bottom fuller gave us problems when we went to the sides the feet wanted to fold in. We got it close enough for me to pull out the horn and heel then it went back under the Niles to lay the top flat. Way to many heats and clean up but not bad for my first. I will have to develop better tooling and technique if I'm going to forge the 3 heat 30 lb. anvil I want to. This one is nicely proportioned at 2-1/2" wide 5" tall and 12-1/2" long and 18 lbs. Not sure what that is in stones? I may go back in and split the feet outward and pop some holes to nail it down.

post-2769-0-69774700-1379857437_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-01544100-1379857450_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-28779000-1379857462_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-77459700-1379857496_thumb.jp

At one of the Balcones Forge meetings late last year, William Bastas and Henry Stone forged an anvil that came out to about ten pounds.  Henry Stone worked as the striker.  It was a very impressive demo.  Some hammers just wish that they could hit as hard as Henry.