I Forge Iron

Making a knife is easy.

Berryhill

Making a knife is easy right? Just get some steel and wood 10 minutes later you have a knife. This is how I thought. I've been doing research for a few months now and made a few knives. This site and others have been a big help. (Thanks to all for your advice the heat treating topics are great) So my problem is I make very ugly knives. My tools are as limited as my skill. I can't seem to get my knives to flow. I'll cut out a profile that I'm happy with just to mess it up with a ulgy handle. I need advice on design. How can I get a better idea on what works on a knife and what doesn't. Anyone know any good books or Internet sites that can help? Thanks for your time.

There's a lot of info here.  Wayne Goddards books were a big help to me.  But in the end it just takes practice.  I don't have many fancy tools so my methods have developed around what I can do.   Everybody's first knives are lacking, keep at it and you'll notice things getting better.  Most of all, use them.

Just keep at it, and keep your first knife to compare with those that follow.  I try to keep any that I don't like or am embarrassed to sell to learn from.  You'll be amazed at the difference how your early knives looked compared to ones a few months from now.  And post pictures of what you've done here for others to critique.  You'll learn from the feedback and get better faster.

Here's one of my first knives or KSO, whatever you'd call it, at the time I was proud of it. And some of the ones that you really, really like keep to use as a future model.

post-34362-0-43144000-1378076242_thumb.j

Berryhill,

Balcones Forge is a Central Texas Blacksmith Association.  A lot of our members are from the Austin area and spreads out in all directions from there.  We have several knifemakers in the group and they have been hosting meetings and demos for us a couple times a year.  Check out Stormcrow on this sight.  He has been very generous with his time and talents and we are very thankful for that.  The others host at the Boerne Ag. Museum and have demonstrated their process of making pattern welded (damascus) steel using a hydraulic log splitter that they converted into a forging press.  Johnny Stout lives close to New Braunfels and in the last few years, he has hosted a couple of meeting for us there in his shop.  He can be found at http://www.stoutknives.com/.  You can go to http://balconesforge.org/ to find more information if needed. 

We usually meet on the last Saturday of the month.  Our September meeting will be the first weekend of October in Oldenburg.  It is a joint meeting with HABA (Houston), North Texas Blacksmith Assoc, LAMA (Louisiana) and Balcones Forge.  This event will start on Thursday and run through Sunday.  They will be going from "Ore to Axe".  They will start with iron ore, produce a bloom and later forge that into and axe.  Our October meeting will be on the 26th in Devine, Texas.  This will be an all day event with an opportunity for everyone to get in the fire if they want to.  Last year AST from this site was present and forgewelded a farriers rasp into a throwing hawk.  I am sure that, if we asked nicely, he would do that for us again.

If you have any questions, give us a call, we would be happy to get you hooked up with someone that can help you,

Jerry

Everybody gets better with time and practice. IIRC, Jerry Fisk said his first blade had the wooden handle slabs held on with drywall screws. :blink:  Now he is a Master Bladesmith and National Living Treasure (yes, in caps) like some of the traditional Japanese swordmakers.

Texas (and Arkansas) has some of the greatest living knifemakers, at least one knife show near the Alamo every January, hammer-ins for blacksmiths and bladesmiths, and a culture generally friendly to makers and users of sharp-n-pointy stuff.

Look up the American Bladesmith Society for classes and hammer-ins near you. 

There is also a Knives Annual book, with tons of photos of professional quality knives of every possible type. It has been published for decades, and older copies can usually be found in used book stores for a pittance.

"My tools are as limited as my skill."

What you really mean to say is that you're imagination is as limited as your patience.

Right now, there are countless smiths in nasty third-world countries producing very good work with shops that make your place look like a NASA research station.  

The world is dotted with the remains of ancient civilizations that built great works using tools made form copper, bronze and stone. But you can't produce a knife that's halfway decent?  The Nazca Lines.  The Pyramids of Giza.  Stonehenge.  

Whenever I see someone that produces a shoddy knife, I see someone that tried to take all kinds of shortcuts so they could have the finished product in hand and then use excuses like, "Not bad for a first try." or, "Hey, I'm new at this so it shouldn't look great." as a way of justifying their rush.

Another thing I have noticed on handles on new makers knives it it doesn't line up with the flow of the blade by either awkward shaping or off centered. Not all handles will be centered mind you but if the top of the handle extends past the spine and not much below the cutting edge it looks unbalanced.

Another thing I have noticed on handles on new makers knives it it doesn't line up with the flow of the blade by either awkward shaping or off centered. Not all handles will be centered mind you but if the top of the handle extends past the spine and not much below the cutting edge it looks unbalanced.

That's why I always recomend that one uses the blades they make.  One will tend to change the handles or shapes to fit the hand.  Plus if it doesn't cut the maker finds out first and not the one who is given or buys it.  Nothing is more embarassing than selling a knife that doesn't cut :blink:.  Jim Hrisoula's book wasn't as much help to me as Goddards, but I did get it a couple of years later. ^_^

A person new to knife making that does not know how to make a knife that is not only pleasing in appearance and tested to be usable is not likely to benefit by using one of their own until the develop the skill to know the difference,,this is easy to support as so many clunky knives are sold with poor blades. 

And to be hypercritical that is kinda perpetuated here when someone posts a knfe with poor finish and lack of design attributes and they are praised by those viewing. 

A person new to knife making that does not know how to make a knife that is not only pleasing in appearance and tested to be usable is not likely to benefit by using one of their own until the develop the skill to know the difference,,this is easy to support as so many clunky knives are sold with poor blades. 

And to be hypercritical that is kinda perpetuated here when someone posts a knfe with poor finish and lack of design attributes and they are praised by those viewing. 

While I would agree that if someone who has been here a long time posted a pick of a ugly knife it would be disshonest to give them the "that's beautiful".  To those we usually just look at them and move along without comment.  (like most of mine) :unsure:  Sometimes we need to take into account the persons experience.  I was proud of my first knives, got shot down here too.  But I didn't let it stop me, I was in too deep.  A real newb, having there ego completely popped may just give it up depriving the future of some possibly one of a kind art pieces.

If you follow this forum often for a long time you will see a repetitious pattern: Someone, some new and some not, will post a picture of a knife like object that is simply unfinished and or crudely done. By any standard you wish to look at it with. Many times they will be said to be having a "rustic" look. Rustic does not mean that hammer dents and grinding marks are left as a finish. I fully understand that once a blade is shaped it is natural to want to wrap it in something you can hold and cherish. And we see that sometimes that takes precedence over heat treating. Right from the anvil, glue or somehow attach a handle of some sort and take a poor pic and post is not unusual at all. We can for sure offer all of them some help of wotever kind works for them. But for any of us to say at that point,,well done,,great job,,is simply wrong. And if yoiu do follow this when that happens, within a week or so you will once again see more knife kinds of items from different folks show up. They seek the attention they have just witnessed. And of course some knives are are commented on by using the sage advice Thumper shared with us long ago. " If ya can't say something nice, don't say 'nothin at all" This forum has a core of folks that stick with it. And it has a revolving door that brings in new and some of them leave. Those that stay can find many ways to improve if they wish. I doubt any of them that leave when they ask for a critique of their work and get honesty are committed to knife making. 

Quite often even if they have not asked for thoughts when they post I send a private note and see if they would like comment on wot I see and ways that they may move forward. I have a good track record with this plan. 

I am not sure telling everyone they are doing fine without offering to help has the same record. 

• 2 weeks later...
"My tools are as limited as my skill."

"What you really mean to say is that you're imagination is as limited as your patience."

WOW!

Never posted a reply here before just reading now to learn and I must say that statement is truly eye opening. Love sayings like this. So much wisdom in so little words.

Seriously thanks for that I needed to read that.

To do anything may be seen as simple. I play guitar a bit and to some, I may sound like a virtuoso, to some others I may sound like a complete hack. Point being is this. At what level do you want to take your skill? I have been at knifemaking for about a little over 3 years now. I have a come a long was in a short time and I owe a lot of people credit for this. The first on the list will be me .....LOL. I work hard.....do a lot of research....ask a million questions.....post pictures of both failures and sucesses. When I ask for critique I expect just that....it does not bother me a bit that someone with years of skill or none at all may throw their 2 cents in. It's what I asked for and what I expect. I wanted to hear what the Pros think. This is how I get better. the others that need credit know who they are......IFI especially......awesome site for learning. Place a pic for Rich Hale and ask for critique....he will be honest.....It might be painful and it might not. Bottom line is.....these guys have been doing it for years and know their stuff. I took all the advice that was offered and then looked for more. Look into all the above mentioned links and lessons. They will help, and by all means ask questions. A lot of what you want to learn is already typed on this forum. Look around and you will found out. Once the CREW here see you making honest efforts and improved results you will get all the support in the world. Cheers and enjoy the site......Enjoy

i started trying to make my own knives when i was a kid. Just out of whatever i could find, as i got more in to it and accumulated more tools and more knowledge my work slowly improved. i am a firm believer in there is always room for improvement. I am just know getting in to forging my blades instead of stock removal and ill be the first to say i SUCK at forging lol. but it is something that i enjoy and ill figure it out eventually. the thing to remember is to study the subject as much as possible and take your time in practicing what you learn. start out with a simple blade design and consentrate on that. once you have the blade the way you want start the handle. you might practice with regular pine lumbar till you figure out what you want and make it work. i have rushed my projects before and i always end up kicking myself later.