I Forge Iron

1st effort at a Suffork latch on a church style door

Guest Johnnie

Guest Johnnie

This is my first go at a latch on an oak door that I made for our bedroom.

Any critiscism advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

To be honest i think the nails took longer to made than the latch itself although i enjoyed every miniute of it 

post-19880-0-45649500-1373313776_thumb.j

post-19880-0-55041600-1373313805_thumb.j

post-19880-0-27125500-1373313826_thumb.j

post-19880-0-05991200-1373313847_thumb.j

Guest Johnnie

It's a feel good factor when use use something thet you've made on a daily basis isn't it? I knocked through the barn wall and built tha arch, made the arch frame out of oak, made the door out of oak which is 3" thick and could hardly lift it. Then forged the door furniture.

As its our bedroom doorits used on a daily basis and I love it . Thanks for the comments guys.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Johnnie

Thanks Charles, yes its my 1st attempt and happy with the outcome. Although I wish I had used larger round stock for thr handle. Its a tad small but hey it works well!

Guest Johnnie

How's it work?

Works fine. Latch shuts with a gentle push of the door. Even sounds good too, does that make any sense??

Just as well as we use the door daily.

all makes sense - just lovely to make and use something like that - i think its really beautiful, looks like a human being made it with enthusiasm and love - cant beat that :) love how you made it so decorative when you could have kept it very conservative, the flowers are ace :) thats where the enthusiasm shows.

• 1 month later...

no like the mechanics of it can you show pics?

Not really a lot to see really. Just the rise and fall latch and the thumb bar to move it. Sorry for the long wait for the reply. Had problems with my account and have to use this new one.

Think the photo isn't great but sure you'll get the jist. Cheers.

Johnnie