I Forge Iron

Vase, Calla Lillies and leaves

Hi, Here is my first attempt at forging a vase,calla lilies and leaves. I saw in the CBA journal last year an article about the steps on making a vase, so I thought I would give it a go. After it was finished I figured it needed some flowers and leaves to go with it. While the calla lilies came out ok , the leaves could definitely be better. I knew I need a thin stem on all of them to fit into the vase and this is what I ended up with.
                        Frank

post-31390-0-55022800-1371418127_thumb.j

post-31390-0-55741200-1371418149_thumb.j

post-31390-0-96671100-1371418158_thumb.j

post-31390-0-47555800-1371418166_thumb.j

Very nice job.  I just tried a calla lilly in bronze.  My first try with bronze.  After getting the bar to hot and having the tip brake off, I started to understand how much to heat the bronze.  Your lilies, leaves and vase look great.  

Thanks Guys,

It was tough trying to get the arrangement to look right as far as the height and spacing because of the narrow width on the inside of the vase. They are all welded in at the bottom of the vase so there is no changing it now. After all the stems were welded along the bottom rim of the vase I welding in a steel rod in the center of the bunch. The rod was turned on the lathe to about 3/4" dia on one side and 3/8 on the other and 1 inch long. This allowed me to pass the 3/8" end though a hole in the bottom (Brass) plate for welding together. I need the bottom plate attached for stability as it was top heavy with the metal flowers. I made the bottom plate out of 1/4" sheet and used the brass brush method to plate it. This was also the first time I used that trick and it worked real well. The plate looked so much like brass it was hard to tell it was steel. I then antiqued the plate to match the color of the rest of the piece a little better.    I am sure a lot of blacksmiths might like the look better if the entire piece was all plain steel, but since I didn't have any experience with coloing steel also, I figured I would try it out and see. The leaves are done with 2 shades of gilders paste, and the flowers are done with a solvent dye incase anyone wants to know.

Very nice Frank. Naw, we often brass or copper brush steel to give it color, as well as use gilders paste, plate and even <GASP> paint.

We're all pretty independent folk and express ourselves as we wish or the customer wishes. Seeing how other folk do things is why we like pictures so much.

The only suggestions I have have been covered, positioning the elements could use some refinement but the components themselves are outstandingly well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

You guys are right,  placement could of been a little better. Next time.......    There are so many other project I want to try, it might be awhile. Today since I got my lock jobs done early , I going to head out to the shop and try and forge a "round back flatter". I saw Toby Hickman make them at a power hammer class, now just to try and remember the steps.

Thanks Peter,  I got the round back flatter almost done before I ran out of time. What took so long is tring to forge the die to make it.

Trying to get a 1" round bar to make a impression in a 1.5" block of steel on the power hammer by myself was more than I could do by myself.  I switched to  my  little 20ton press and it worked, but took forever. 

Do you remember the name of the name of the wedge tool? I need to make that next but I don't have the die that everone was using at the class.  Any sugestions on making one without the die.