I Forge Iron

STS WONDER TOOL

Greetings All,

I was reading through the thread on uses for rail road track and thought it was time for another ( why didn't I think of that ),

This tool set up has two tracks for straightening with horizontal bars set at different  angles for bending..  It also has the capability of assisted bending from 3/4 inch to 16 inches on the flat or diagonal .  Set on one side is a hardie hole which now has a cut off tool in it..  On the side it has a convenient step vise for holding whatever .. In it off hours it serves as a tool rack for many tongs and tools... The pulleys slip on the horizontal bars and has a adjustable bridge for a lever...  This only partially brings out what I do with it..  I designed this years ago and it has been invaluable through the years.. I have all the rolling and Hossfield equipment in my big shop but this is sooo nice in the small studio..

Get busy and make you one...

Forge on and make beautiful things...

Jim

post-30666-0-53908900-1371169635_thumb.j      post-30666-0-94390700-1371169680_thumb.j   post-30666-0-66983500-1371169720_thumb.j

Jim, this is fantastic! I could find scraps to fabricate something similar, this definitely has my interest. Now I have lots of ququestions about it-

Now that you've had this for years, do wish you had done some things differently in its design?
What diameter are the horizontal bending bars?
What height did you make it?
Could you take some more closeup pics?

Very cool. :)

A problem with this site is you keep coming across things that people have made that are useful and then you want one also.

So now I have another item to add to my list of tools to make. It never gets shorter.

Very nice idea can see the uses of it have to build one for myself when I get some time.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us Jim.

Peter

Greetings guys,

As of this time I do not know to take a video of myself in action...  Sometime in the next week I'm going to get a crash course from my wife and will share it with you.. Until than I will try to answer some questions and add new pictures that may help.. 

1. The unit stands 33 in tall at the top of the rails..

2.  The size of the bars is 1 in. 

The railroad tracks allows me to straighten long bars across the top .. besides all the other functions of a track.

The cross bars are set at different angles for free bending and forming.

The hardie hole will accept 1in bottom tool or service tool ..  Small diameter bending tool shown..

The pulleys installed on the shaft with the bridge allows round forming to 16 in. on the diagonal with cast grove pulleys or straight with flat..

I am surprised that no one Including Frosty has ask me what the name stands for.....   Well I'll tell you ...   When I first designed the tool I named it my sidekick because it was always by my side to get me out of trouble..   When the guys and customers came in and seen me use it they added .....

(  THATS SLICKER THAN S..... )  you get the picture..  Hence the name..

Forge on and make beautiful things....  Video coming..

Jim                                                                                     post-30666-0-06050900-1371253901_thumb.jpost-30666-0-02919200-1371253968_thumb.j

The name definitely fits.  Just wondering if there are other IFI members who would live close enough to help make the video.  I know if I lived close enough I'd jump at the chance to see it in action.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Jeff...   WELCOME... WEACOME... In the words of Larry the cable guy...   GETER DONE....  Anytime...

Francis....   I'm still working on my skills of making a video..   It's a cool piece of equipment and I have used a lot through the years... 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim