I Forge Iron

Hammer Challenge Titanium

lately I have been working for a contractor building a large house on top of a mountain 

welding structural steel I beams for Lg window frame unit & wrap around second floor outside deck 

& so on

Wile talking about hammer control @ lunch time I notice that all the crew members use titanium framing hammers  Hmm ?  In my first thought about them was its to light & NO wt behind them

well I just had to try one so I turned back into a wood framer for a bit

I gota say I was impressed they hit harder than I thought ! & are lite wt :) cost $$ 250.00 +

So the smithing challenge -- since I don't have any titanium here or anyway to get a scrap piece

MAYBE ?? someone out there mite have a piece & forge it into some kind of hammer &

test it out forging ??-- and get back to us on what you think about this, one of a kind hammer ?

Then maybe the ? of what wt of hammer that works best will be thrown out the window LOL :o

Steve

PS -- or if you have a piece to donate to this Idea we can forge it out here

@ are local meeting in July just give me an EM ironwolf13@yahoo.com

Thanks again

Physics apply to all metals,,,power is weight times speed..most folks can swing a light weight hammer faster than a heavier one. i wouild expect those framers are moving the hammers lightening fast. I would also like a accurate wieght on one of them..I will google and see if that is listed.

There have been some Titanium hammers entered at a couple of shows over here in the UK,(along with tongs, buffers and punches), more to show it can be done rather than how useful/efficient they are, although the tongs buffers and punches seemed to work fine. .

Due to price, I would think that if they were better than HC steel ones, the UK farriers would be using them as they like nice shiny expensive things, and I have seen no evidence (yet) of them being popular.

I work with a lot of carpenters, some of whom have those Ti hammers.  They are indeed fast and drive a nail well.  However carpenters also use hammers to bang studs in and out of locations, nudge a beam along to it's proper place, etc.   And when one of the light weight Ti hammers is used to beat something into place the low mass becomes obvious, the poor guy wielding it must wail away for much longer than the old school steel hammer guys.