I Forge Iron

Rose of death anyone?

This is the first project I have shared here.

In my attempt to make something marketable and fun I finally found to projects to put together.

This is a "Russian Rose" and a Skull I forged from a RR Spike.

This is the first one I have ever done.

It might be the first one ever. I have never seen one before.

I'm glad to have the opportunity to share it.

Any feedback or methods of making it better is appreciated.

Thanks

post-8495-0-93824000-1366919343_thumb.jp

Thanks, Frosty.

I'm thinking Rose, Skull, Cobra will be my next attempt.

Any suggestions I will take them.

I was also thinking about doing a wolf or panther head.

All of these are popular in Tattoo Designs.

My "Real Job" has been Tattooing for the last 25 years.

So I'm looking for another way to make stuff for the communicty.

IDK much about steam punk. 

I will have to do some research or I will look at any links posted.

I'm working on heads.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a bird skull.

Very hard.

I only know how to do a horse head and of course skulls.

I will keep trying and post them.

Thanks guys.

I appreciate it.

So this is what I came up with for my next combination of images.

The cobra is pretty beat. The next one will be better. 
This was the first success and the thirds attempt. 
I also almost made a shark out of the point of a RR Spike but really struggled to do the fins.

Feedback is welcome.

Thanks for looking.

post-8495-0-22026700-1367183216_thumb.jp

I really like the cobra. Reminds me of an alan Dean Foster character Flinx and his mini drag Pip the flying venomous snake like critter.

Steam punk is modern technology dressed in turn of the last century Victorian style. The definitive and probably first steam punk novel is, "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea." By Jules Verne. He may have written earlier works in the same genre but Twenty Thousand Leagues is credited as the first and one of the best ever. Lots of polished brass, wood and glass. Your computer can have as many moving parts as you'd like so long as they're visible, polished brass and chrome and it's steam powered.

The writing genre has some developing and maturing to do but it's coming along nicely.

Frosty the Lucky

Me too. I sort of think of it like a mechanical version of Craftsman Architecture with exposed structural and mechanical elements. for instance a proper steampunk Chevy pickup would have the engine sticking out of the hood and the polished brass exhaust pipes ending in bells several feet over the driver's head.

Then there's the engine, visible pistons, exagerated and very visible valve trains. the carb would be an exuberant mmini refinery or injectors maybe big brass syringes with mechanical fingers working the plungers.

For now, I'm thinking maybe using brass rivets where I can get away with them. Maybe housewares, lamps, shelving and cookware seem pretty logical and within my grasp right now.

Frosty the Lucky

always impressed with what people manage to rearrange rail spikes into!  loving the cobra version! but then again, im partial to reptiles anyway :)

if you want to check out more animal heads and good tutorials on how to forge them check out the book Iron Menagerie, by the Guild of Metalsmiths ok maybe not so much book...its a little spiral bound thing, but great pic's and step by step's to making a variety of animal heads and faces for use in whatever might happen to require some personality :)

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Menagerie-Guild-Metalsmiths/dp/1931626294