I Forge Iron

candle holder

Rhettbarnhart

My sister has been after me to make her a candle holder since I started smithin' so I finally got around to I almost a year later.This Is my first attempt soooooo......the next one  will look nicer.Anyways here it ispost-25948-0-71381900-1365649060_thumb.jpost-25948-0-14431900-1365649090_thumb.jpost-25948-0-58888000-1365649105_thumb.j.I need to make a set of fire tools and I want to put rams heads on the ends so I have been practicing rams heads too,here is my 3rd one  post-25948-0-37576600-1365648949_thumb.jpost-25948-0-20183400-1365649016_thumb.jpost-25948-0-15121200-1365649033_thumb.j.So what do yall think?if yall have thoughts to improve them I would love to hear them.

rhett

Thanks solano,once again,I got the idea for the candle holder from 99ppo(Daniel)

Swede fiddle in the second pic you can see the little tray I have I just used a ball pein to speed the stock, it could be bigger though...

Nobody special,I tried that and the bloody rod keeps wanting to fall out of the curl how do I hold the rod in place?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions

Rhett

If you're talking about while forming, put the rod in a vice and do your work near the vice surface to minimize wiggle.

If you're talking about still loose after formed, you can do several things. Let it set on that tray on bottom,  you could put a pin through the bottom for the candle to sit on, you could rough the inside edges or make burrs to grip the rod/candle.  Or after shaping, close the circle a tiny bit more so that it is fractionally smaller than the candle and the candle should push into it a little. Of course the last one only works if you consistantly use the same size candles.

You could also form it around a tapered rod so that the bottom curl is smaller, giving the candle something to sit on, then gradually opening to the desired size.

Impressive job. I use a 7/8-inch outside diameter pipe to wrap my coils around for candle holders. I use an O/A torch which makes things a lot simpler.

You might be surprised at how easy it is to free form a coil like that on the anvil. This will help develop your eye as you estimate diameter. Do the coil while everything is still straight and then do all of the bending last.

Do you have an instructor?

Thanks Dave it is a simple project for y'all pro smiths but it is kinda challenging for guys like me.that would really simplify things to make the coil while everything else was straight,thanks.No I don't have an instructor but I recently found that there is an experienced smith about 30 min from me :) he is a member On here;his name is Makenzie Martin and I am gonna go to his place and have him give some pointers next week hopefully :)

Rhett: The simple things are often the most difficult to execute. I mean heck, all an atomic bomb is is a large lump of U235. Yeah, right.

What Dave means is YOU"LL be surprised at how well and smoothly these things go once YOU get it. Knowledge and practice is all the craft is . . . Well, okay so you need some steel, fire, hammers, etc. The real tool at your disposal is your brain and you can train it.

If that's your first candle holder you've done a terrific job. Things like getting the coils just right to hold a candle are a matter of fine tuning, you have the right mojo going, all it needs is some tweeking.

Being the joker I oft am, I WAS going to say the easy way to get the candles to fit was to make the coils small and get them hot before putting the candles in. That's only partially a joke, if you get the temp right you can literally screw the candle down the coil and it'll stay.

Nice ram's heads too. I'm thinking you're another comer. A few years and you'll be giving classes like Dave.

Frosty the Lucky.

thanks Darren,i forgot to  mention,i got this idea from one of 99ppo's videos.Also,does anybody have advice on how to get the curl on top to fit thhe candle easily?

I have to say Rhett that I just filmed the video. Alec forged the candle holder and made up the design. Nice work what you did there! Good job!