I Forge Iron

Gordon Williams cut list

I just got this E-mail from Gordon. We'll need to get it together before gets here. earlier actually, if we can't come up with anything he'll need to know so he can plan.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well fella's here it comes! This is my steel list, if there is any problem with any of it let me know. Some elements I'm prepping and sending with my tools.
Observation demo, I'll supply
Wine rack, I'll supply big stock and leaves. Need 1 piece of 3/8 round 28" long. 1 piece of 3/8 round 12" long
Lizard, One piece of 1/2 square 9 1/2" long. Four pieces of 1/4" round 4' long.
Oak tree, I'll supply lrg.piece. Need 2 pieces of 1/2 round 6" long.
Rose with Butt leaves forge welded, One piece of 3/8 round 14" long. Two pieces of 3/8 round 7" long.
Steer broom, one piece of 1/2 square 24" long. One piece of 1" sch.40 black pipe 7" long. One piece of 1/2 square 6' long.
Steer and horse hook, one # 1 plain horseshoe. One piece of 3/8 square 10" long.
Alaskan miner with jackass hook, one #1 plain horseshoe. One piece of 3/8 square 10"long. One 5/16 fender washer.
Wild Mustang kid, coat cup rack,textured copper highlighted with forge welds and riveted hooks. One piece of 1/4x3/4 ,18"long. One piece of
1/4x3/4, 9" long. three pieces of 1/4 " round , 4" long. 3/16 drill bit.
Daisy Duke Flower, One piece of 1/4x1, 12" long.
Bird one, one piece of 3/8 square 7", long.
Bird two, One #1 plain shoe.
Hook with melted glass, Two 1/4x3/4, 7" long.
Mother in law gift, One long neck empty beer bottle. One piece of 1/4" round 14" long.
Rope swage making 3/8 and 1/4. I'll supply.
Canyon swage, I'll supply, Need one piece of 3/8x1 or 1/2x1, 14" long.
Handles for oak texture and canyon texture, Two pieces of 1/4 by 3/4, 12" long.
Grape vine swage I'll supply but need Four pieces of 1/4 by 1 1/2, 2" long.
Indian arrow, one piece of 3/8 round, 24" long. One piece of 1/2 square, 6" long. One piece of 3/16x1, 4" long. Two pieces of # 14 solid copper wire 14" long, or just a foot of romex.
Acorn swage, I'll supply.
Offset scroll fork with rope handle, One piece of 3/8 square 18" long.
Cactus with leaves, One piece of 1/2 square. 18" long. One piece of 1/4x3/4, 8" long.
Eyeball tools made easy. I'll supply.
       Thank you, Gordon

Frosty,

I don't know if y'all have seen Gordon before.  I will offer a little advice.  You better rest up.  Just watching him work will wear you out.  He is like the Energizer Bunny.  He goes and goes and goes and goes..........

I've heard that about Gordon, Jerry. I'd start resting up now but Deb has other ideas about my time. <grin>

Rob: Gordon's travel plans are posted on our old Yahoo group site that I don't have very good access to right now. The old site is still up and being left to petrify, I'm more than a bit peeved at Yahoogroups so it can waste all their bandwidth they like. Anyway, I'm sure someone with better access than I will (hopefully) cut and paste Gordon's schedule here.

I'll be messaging Gordon as to our new IFI forum digs so he can yak at us directly.

Frosty The Lucky.

Tristan: Below is a cut and paste of the message I got a day or so ago. He's talking to a fellow in Anchorage who wasn't aware of the association. I've sent him a message and hope to see him posting here soon.

I hope I'm not in trouble for cutting and pasting Gordon's E-mail.

Frosty The Lucky.

-----Original Message-----
To: akhutto <akhutto@gmail.com>
Sent: Fri, Apr 5, 2013 2:06 pm
Subject: Re: pass onto Gordon Williams Please

Hello Jim, we will be flying in May 21st and the demo will be May 24- 26th. The demo will apparently be at Patrick Garleys in Palmer AK. If you need more info let me know and I'll see if it's okay to pass there emails to you. Thank you, Gordon
-----Original Message-----
To: gordoncampverde <gordoncampverde@aol.com>
Sent: Fri, Apr 5, 2013 1:27 pm
Subject: Fw: pass onto Gordon Williams Please

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen Gordon several times bring a comfortable chair as he starts early for a late and don't need breaks. Ussually has at least 2 pieces in fire at a time. You will see a weeks worth of work in a one day demo.

You guy's are in for a big treat. I have known Gorden for many years through the AABA can't tell you how many times I have seen him demo. I can honestly say, "I have learned more from him than any other smith I know."  We never tire of seeing his demos. He always has something new to add. I would suggest to video record his demo. He covers some much ground if your taking notes and pictures, your bound to miss a little bit. It almost a brain over load.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like Pat has ended up paying for way to many lunches at our events.I would like to propose that we bring selent auction items to the clinic so that the procedes might repay Pat and buy our lunch this time. I will have something there whether I am able to make it there myself or not.

I'll say he's got energy. He's doing his clinic for us because we're on his way. He's flying in with bicycles and camping gear with the intention of riding back to Arizona. He's planning on doing clinic all the way. so yeah, a guy bicycling a couple thousand miles WITH blacksmith kit has energy.

I'm pretty jazzed, might get a larger card for my camera.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty I wish I had a dvd of one of his full demos, Get a couple more cards so you can film everything- you will be very glad you did. I realized after about 10 minutes that trying to take notes was making me miss things he was doing and saying :) I may have had that kind of energy 50 years ago but I don't think so...

Dave

Geeze Dave you're not curbing my enthusiasm one bit! Plenty of cameras and video. Check.

I'm thinking most of my notes will be tagging pics I've never been able to take anything like good notes at a clinic, just touch highlights if that.

Frosty The Lucky.