I Forge Iron

Using a canopy?

So I've decided to say "*********  it", and just drop a bunch of cash on a smithy. Thing is, is I don't want to spend cash on something I don't really need.

One of those things I am of the impression I probably do not really need is a blacksmith's shed, although it would be nice, I can't afford it and I have no idea how to make one.

So I thought i would just buy a canopy.

The picture below is where the smithy will be located...

post-36254-0-26527200-1363820391_thumb.j

The fence to the left is the fence bordering my neighbor.

My plan was to buy a canopy with a high roof and place it in the cement space. I was then going to buy tarp and stick it on all the sides around the canopy ceiling.

This is so that I can help protect against the elements, but when I am smithing, I was going to open up the tarp closest to the grass to allow for ventilation.

Since I will be using a coal forge, I want to try and prevent as much smoke blowing into my neighbor's yard as I can. I figure using something like tarp would at least help block out most of the smoke, but I really have no idea.

Can anyone think of reasons why this could be a bad idea? And then possibly provide a solution?

If this will cause me too much trouble, I do have a possible alternative.

Below is another portion of my backyard that might work, but I fear for the low ceiling.

post-36254-0-61315600-1363821226_thumb.j

I was going to move that rusted and broken workout set, and just put all the smithy stuff in that area. I wouldn't have to worry about neighbors or ventilation, and the rain at least wouldn't be hitting the stuff directly.

Thoughts?

You do have a problem.  A canopy + a coal forge is probably a bad idea.  The heat from the forge will melt or catch fire.  I would suggest getting a small gas forge.  I've got a diamond back.  It's small and portable.  It could sit on the edge of the porch.  That and get a Fisher anvil as they are much quieter than most.  I'm guessing you have nieborhood gustapo that won't look to fondly on your banging around :P .  (the forge scale will look real good on that neat porch. :rolleyes:

i wonder if it would be possible to rig up that bow-flex looking thing into some kind of trip/treadle hammer? :D

as for the layout, i agree with JM, the canopy is going to capture heat and could possibly melt if not vented.  if you work under the overhang could you not fabricate a sheet metal chimney that vents out under the side of the roof?  that would keep the smoke from possibly flowing into those windows if they were left open too, it would also allow you to make the chimney taller which might help in clearing the smoke over your neighbors heads.

if you are buying a free standing canopy anyway (easy-up style?) why not set yourself up on that detached pad where the fire pit is?  clear out the old rocks in the pit and use that footprint to keep the forge in and take the canopy down when you are going to be working.

Yeah I guess a coal forge at that porch area would be a bad idea anyway because of the neighbors. A gas forge could work there, but then I'd have to worry about the noise there.

My neighbors probably won't cry about the noise of a hammer, but the noise that gas forges make might be pushing it. I just may also have to invest in building a small canoe to get over the river of tears. :rolleyes:

So do you think running a coal forge under the overhang would be a bad idea if left how it is? Is this because of the fire scale the forge would leave under the overhang?

Yeah I guess I could get a sheet metal chimney, but I am trying to set up this smithy without doing anything permanent to the house.

If I were to work under the overhang, I would have just bought a fan tall enough to blow all the smoke out. I would have placed it far enough so it won't affect the coal forge too much, but just enough to blow away the smoke.

But if a coal forge is going to permanently blacken the overhang, then that's going to be an issue, unless there is a work around? Besides getting a gas forge.

I could put a coal forge in the fire pit, assuming I bought a coal forge small enough to fit in it. That's another option.

I don't have a forge yet, right now I am trying to find a place for the smithy.

I've been forging under a canvas canopy for about six months and haven't had any problems. There are some pinholes in it, but that's about it. I'd go for some metal roofing though, if cash isn't an issue.

Idk what gas forges you've heard, mine isn't even as loud as a hair dryer.  My coal forge is powered by a minivac, it's much louder.  The reason I chose the diamondback, it can be used with the standard bar-b-que 20lb propane tank.  The drawback is it is a knifemakers forge and is really to small of a chamber for anything larger than 2X2.  The top of my shop does warm up from it (about 3 1/2' above).  The portability will allow you to move it from under the porch for use.

Idk what gas forges you've heard, mine isn't even as loud as a hair dryer.  My coal forge is powered by a minivac, it's much louder.  The reason I chose the diamondback, it can be used with the standard bar-b-que 20lb propane tank.  The drawback is it is a knifemakers forge and is really to small of a chamber for anything larger than 2X2.  The top of my shop does warm up from it (about 3 1/2' above).  The portability will allow you to move it from under the porch for use.

lol, XXXXXXXXXXX, I just checked the price on those diamond back gas forges you recommended and they are incredibly cheap compared to the ridiculous prices I have been seeing on coal forges.

Thank you sir, you have enlightened me. From what I have been hearing about "cons" from gas forges, is that they are loud. I guess these models are not very loud.

Which one do you have?

Right now I am still a novice when it comes to blacksmithing, but I intend on making relatively bigger projects, but nothing huge.

Do these things guzzle gas pretty fast?

I've got the 2 burner knifemakers forge.  These will reach forge welding temps (altitude will affect this), but be warned; the borax flux you use for welding will melt the side insulation like water through cotton candy.

Gas consumption is about 2 1/2 hours at 5psi (that's a rough est as I usually only forge for 30-40min at a time).

First thing I would suggest, if you haven't already is to take a class somewhere to see if it's worth your time and investment.

Also, with your neighbors that close I would probably let them know your plans and see if you could come to a mutual understanding on what to expect from smithing and be mindful of their peace.

Hie thee to some local ABANA Chapter meetings---particularly good if they travel from one shop to another so you can see what folks are using and decide on the pros or cons of each set up YOURSELF!

I'm finishing up another gas forge this week---about 2 hours labour and the sole cost is the burner---I even was given some kaowool at a local scrapyard!  Of course the burner cost many times what building my coal forge did---I have US$3 in it 25 years ago...

I intend on using a gas forge anyway, even though I prefer a coal forge since I am the most familiar with them. The gas forge just seems to be more neighbor friendly and cleaner. Not that I have any problem with dirt, but the people in my house do. 

I am attending blacksmith classes in my area, but we only use coal forges. I was going to ask the instructors there on their opinion on the gas forge I intend to use.

I'm not the biggest fan of gas forges. I use one in my shoeing operation, but I prefer solid fuel for most everything else. With gas, I find that it is difficult to isolate heat , either selectively quenching or resorting to a torch. To get real efficiency you need several sizes to chose from, and welding flux degrades the liner and fire brick shelf. I actually prefer side blast solid fuel for versatility when I'm playing, or working at home.
As to a canopy, don't know about where you're from but here in Oklahoma, wind will take out a ez up or permanent tarp, better off with a small carport or awning.