I Forge Iron

A rare sighting....

If you are really quiet in the factory, when every one else has gone home, and stay upwind you sometimes catch a glimpse of one......

IMG_1558_zps6c4698e0.jpg

I managed to sneak a bit closer, camera in hand...... they rarely stray far from their battle scarred parents. I managed to get this snap of her out in the open

IMG_1559_zpsa7a729cd.jpg

she looks like a two, the smallest of the breed...

A good feed and water over the coming months and Im sure she will stay,

Ill update with her progress when time allows :P  :D

Its just too sad when they get scrapped, yes I know that some are well past their use by date, one here (NSW) had a cracked tup cylinder that had been repaired many times with no success (30CWT) it went to scrap, but there was also a little used, recently overhauled 3cwt that was scrapped (Newcastle City council workshops) I almost had my hands on it when the bean counters and OHS gurus got involved, she went to the big furnace.  They just dont make them anymore, what exists now is what we have to go on with.  Yes I know I can buy a brand new chinese one, but they are'nt a Massey, I can't say the chinese ones will run as good after 50 years of work.

Phil

The 'mod' 3 is staying in the UK,

The 1 cwt Masseys were called a 'with slides' hammer, and whilst they have 'clear space' around the die area are not a 'clear space' hammer....

Phil, In the first pic the cream one is a 3cwt.

Then its 2 x 20's ,the 2 cwt, a ten, a fifteen, then a tiny glimpse of a 5 cwt, with another 10 cwt out in the bay. So close but no cigar :)