I Forge Iron

A rare sighting....

hi john and all massey lovers  yes it is very upseting when a old girl is scraped  

john did you get involved with the 2500 ton massey from cmi   australia

i got 6 masseys   but one little 1cwt is going to a knew home  

and john i better order that sett of rings 

for the 1cwt 

i will email 

keep up the restos on the old girls  some one has too 

moony 

By golly those massy's are quite a sight...for scrape you say?? Oh that's a pity, is there even a glimmer of hope they could be salvaged from such a faith and restored to former glory or is that just life and that's how it goes? I'm a gluton for punishment like that. I'd take on restoring one without a second thought, foolish some would say lol

I'm starting out with my smithing journel and it'll be quite a while before i land something as near to a proper power hammer of sorts. More than likely take stock of what bits i have and make up a reasonable to good power hammer from odds and ends when i set my mind to it and get my foot on the ladder kind of thing. There's more than enough info on here to get started however i would like to set a goal of having one of these babbies in the shop at some later stage. It has to justifyable i know but you have a set a target.

They are not for scrap ! most are sold and awating refurbishment :D

Mooney, stayed away from the auzzy 2500 ton press. A gamble to much for me at the current time, and ive not got enough chips to play at that table! (and more to do closer to home than hours in a day!)

Im very impressed you have got so many hammers !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A   question for John N   .   i bought a 3cwt  7 month ago (the orange one ,you sugested i should paint green) when somebody comes to the workshop the question pops up how much was a hammer like that new ? mine got a ref no:2250 and i belive it was build 1967 .  cheers HJP

• 6 months later...