I Forge Iron

Firepot welding question

95silverstallion

Im in the process of building my first forge and have a question about welding 1/2" plate for the pot. Since its not going to carry any heavy load but it will obviously see extreme heat...would I be kidding myself trying to weld up the 1/2" plate firepot with my Lincoln 140 MIG welder? Ive been welding the table up with my MIG using gas but if need be and you think it would work I can switch to .030 flux core. Or should I just tack it up good and have someone with a big welder finish it off?

Thanks,

Brian

95SS, you are okay with your equipment. I built my fire box out of 3/8" plate and used a Lincoln 135. Bevel the edges and make multiple passes. That is how the big boys do it on heavy iron. I have been using my fire pot for 9 years with no sign of degredation.

Greetings Brian,

Test weld ,  Test weld,   Test weld..  !/2 plate at that angle allready has a bevel....  I think you will be filling a  3/4 or better gap...    Check out the duty cycle of your machine...   It's only metal have at it...  reverse gear is a grinder...

Good luck

Jim

Yes its a 110v welder.

I figured  it cant hurt to just lay the juice to it and go multiple passes. I can MIG weld good but I have never welded plate that thick(1/2"). I suppose a good initial preheat will help since im in the garage with no heat and its in the 20s. I will definetly do some test passes on leftover pieces.

If I thought the wife wouldnt give me the look I would just go buy a stick welder and be done with it.

Thanks for the boost of confidence,

Brian

Waste of time and gas.  You will need to wait for the welder to cool between passes, and you'll blow a lot of gas.  It's not even fair to do with someone else's gas.  Although I know those who would do that.  This is an ideal job for a big stick or mig welder.  The amount of filler you can lay in with a 650 amp 3 ph stick welder running iron powder rods is just awesome in comparison to one of those little 120V MIG's.

Waste of time and gas.  You will need to wait for the welder to cool between passes, and you'll blow a lot of gas.  It's not even fair to do with someone else's gas.  Although I know those who would do that.  This is an ideal job for a big stick or mig welder.  The amount of filler you can lay in with a 650 amp 3 ph stick welder running iron powder rods is just awesome in comparison to one of those little 120V MIG's.

Lol abit overkill don't ya think,"650 amps 3 phase 7024 rods" it's a fire pot not a bridge.

The corners of the fire pot don't nearly take the punishment that the sides do.  It really only needs to hold about 20 to 30 lbs of coal and iron at the most.  as long as it can support that load and the fire is contained you'r fine.  One pass to make it air tight will do the job.  The sides will burn away long before the welds are eroded by oxidation from the heat of the fire.  Extra passes will make you feel like you did a good job but that will not add anything to the functionality of the finished fire pot.

It will work fine .025 wire just means you will have to make more passes on the plate Gas is the way to go with your unit I have .030 on mine W/25 % /75% Mix I prep (Bevel) 1/2 plat all the time and weld it up even on Structural Stuff If you can weld with that unit (you have not shown any photos ) then you can weld a simple Fire pot . debating the issue is more of a personal preference of one's ability then the ability of the Machine that does nothing unless turned on by a welder and used  . it will do the job very proficiently. 

Sam