I Forge Iron

Shattering Hammers on Mythbusters

It's better to keep your mouth closed and have people think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I assume when you say "people think YOUR an idiot", you meant "people think YOU'RE an idiot."

That being the case, why did you open your mouth? Pot calling the kettle black?

LeViAtHaN = 9 posts

irnsrgn = 850+ posts

Who do you think is more popular on this forum?

I couldn't care less about popularity. If the people here are only going to go along with what and who is popular, regardless of how rude, sarcastic, or opinionated that person is being in their comments, then I feel sorry for them. No one seems to be attacking the content of my posts, pointing out flaws in my point of view.

LeViAtHaN, if it was my forum I would boot you out for stirring the pot like that. Decorum prohibits me from telling you what I think of you.

Why is that? Are you trying to protect the popular people's right to be rude to the newcomers? As long as you're popular, it's ok to be rude, but if a newcomer does likewise, they should be booted? Kind of a double standard. You're not a descendant of Adolf Hitler, are you?

Like your friend Dale said:
So much for " free speech "

Dale, I hope you choose to ignore this newcomer and keep posting.

Yes, that would make the most sense. He will most certainly post again. That little ruse of martyrdom was simply a tactic to make people mad at me for supposedly running him off the forum.

LeViAtHaN
Let me make things VERY CLEAR.
The name calling will stop.

If you have a comment, please keep it on topic.

The topic here is mythbusters Episode 67 Firearms Folklore Original Airdate November 29, 2006 concerning the myth "If two hammers strike each other, or a hammer strikes an anvil, at least one hammer will completely shatter with lethal force."

Dale, Sorry to hear you won't be back. I really hope you'll reconsider!!

Alternately. I would think that this is ultimately going to be one of those myths where certain circumstance would have to be just right for everything to happen the way the myth claims (hardness, grain structure, force, etc. etc.). I could see chipping, splitting, cracking, maybe even a bit of spalling, but an outright explosion?? I've seen a can of soda explode, and a potato explode (don't even ask) but never a chunk of 1.5 inch diameter steel. Then again, I only practice BASIC metallurgy, so I might be wrong.

-Aaron @ the SCF

"If two hammers strike each other, or a hammer strikes an anvil, at least one hammer will completely shatter with lethal force."

The way it's worded makes it virtually impossible to show. There are too many variables. First it needs to COMPLETELY shatter; then, when it does, it has to be with LETHAL force. Lets be serious here, whe you're working with tools, it doesn't matter if it completely shatters, or that it's lethal. I, for one, would miss my eye from that one piece of hammer that chipped off.

Rather small projectiles can kill if they hit just the right spot. I remember reading about a teenager who was killed putting firecrackers under tincans. One came apart and a rather small piece managed to hit his heart. Something that would be more of a nuissance---hide it from your parents type of thing ended up lethal.

In one of the safety discussions around these parts a smith mentioned having to go to the ER to get a wirebrush wire removed from his belly as it had penetrated and curled up.
While not directly lethal peritonitis was a possibility and can be lethal.

I don't think "explode" was the right word to use but I can see it---testing junkyard steels with a quench test has sown me that some steels will fly apart violently when struck when full hard

Wow again! The amount of (words edited) in this thread stirred up shows me that mythbusters is an emmencely popular show. (how is emmencely spelled by the way) I can't reason why anyone would quit the forum though. Some of us got a bit carried away, so what. I saw that episode and remember thinking they are not the brightest people pretending to do things the scientific way, and I do worry a bit that a lot of people will take their show to fact, truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Kinda scarry. Dale it would be a shame to quit the forum. Myself being a hick from the sticks of Missouri I find it quite enjoyable to talk to someone on the other side of the planet and not have to sell my kids into slavery to pay the phone bill, besides your opinion is very important to us here.

Never met ya but you come off as good ole boy, hate to see ya go.

Fred

Edit: words were edited as noted. Please keep the words as well as the intent presentable in a family forum.

im

I have on several occasions seen hardened steel shatter, though it wasn't a hammer. It can be a pretty spectacular event. Invariably, it was due to an internal defect in the steel, either a crack or a void and involved the grinding process in the manufacturing of bearing races.

I suppose that may be possible for a shattering hammer to cause a lethal injury, though I believe that it would be extremely unlikely. You could definitely lose an eye.

Right ON Neal, that is how the world turns, and how we sometimes learn, everyone is entitled to their own opinions whether right or wrong. Not everyone sees things in the same light or content. Hofi and I Disagree about our hammer styles, but we agreed to discuss it over tea someday when we meet, Hofi uses milk, I use Sugar. But that doesn't make me Sweeter than Uri. LOL