I Forge Iron

Shattering Hammers on Mythbusters

Watching Mythbusters right now, and the build team was working on the "myth" that banging two hammers together can make them shatter (they say explode, but shatter is a better term). It arose on their website due to Jamie's frequent banging two hammers together in a not reccommended fashion.

They went to a blacksmith shop in Calif., and the smith said that it was possible. They built a rig to bash hammers together, and didn't get any shattering.

So far so good. But then Jamie comes and tells them to harden the hammers by heating them up "Yellow or white hot, as hot as you can without melting them," something to that effect. Then quench it in motor oil. Because the carbon in the oil will soak into the hammer and case harden it.

They heat hammer heads in a charcoal grill, then dump them in aluminum roasting tins of used motor oil, not expecting the fire (?) and hit it with a fire extinguisher. When that doesn't work, they take them out of the oil and extinguish them. They then bashed the hammer into their anvil with their rig, bending the metal handle but doing nothing to the head.

It seemed to me that the head was still very hot when they took it out of the oil, and the hardness was probably drawn out. I normally really enjoy Mythbusters, but there were so many technical mistakes in this I kept shaking my head.

i too watched that too insted of going tru all of that id just take the torch to the head and qunched it in water(that is if i didnt have my forge going)....but i think the myth of a hammer shattering is from someone getting a cheapo cast iron hammer and hitting something tougher then the hammer and it breaks

Nick- Not sure if it was in the same episode, or a revisit of that myth, but I seem to recall them having no success, bending the handle, etc. and decided to take the hammer(s) back to the blacksmith shop and the smith heated them to non-magnetic in his forge, quenched them in water, and told them it had been hardened to the maximum possible hardness that the material was capable of. I'm pretty sure it was all in one episode. After doing such, I think I recall them breaking one of the heads off a hammer using their rig, but no explosion or shattering..

Mythbusters is one of my favorite shows and while they don't always do things 100% correct, they are pretty darn good imho..

i saw part of the show didnt see them do a redo of it though. and no they did not get the hammers any ware near hot enough in there bbq grill to heat treat them if any thing they made them dead soft.
what happens if you hit 2 metals hardend to there maximum hardnest is they can crack and chips can fly a chip can and will come off with the same speed of a bullet just ask my buddy about the chunk of an axe in his leg that had to be pulled out (dont ask me how they did it were still trying to figure that one out)
also when tools are used for long periods of time they mushroom and get cracks in them just like the end on your chisils if you dont beleve in dressing the stiking end just wate till you are digging a pice of it out of your arm you will be a belever then.

They did it in the bright southern California sunlight, so it was nearly impossible to tell what color they got it to. Either way, I think there's no question that no hardening was going on there.

They didn't go back to the blacksmith's shop, that must have been the other incartation of that experiment.

G'Day blokes ( & shelias )
read it's TV , we all know what'll happen when bangin' 2 hammer heads together ,, :(
Remember television get's it wrong sometimes ( like this time ) sorry ta point that out ta those of youse who belive every word that's sprouted outta the box

Dale Russell

Wow.. I have to say, I am rather shocked by the negativity on display in this thread..

Remember television get's it wrong sometimes ( like this time ) sorry ta point that out ta those of youse who belive every word that's sprouted outta the box

Sorry to point out how condescending that sounds. It's just a good thing you were here to inform (while insulting) people of the groundbreaking discovery you made regarding a television show designed to entertain, not educate. I only wish I were so clever that I could have figured that out on my own! :rolleyes:

The only reason I bothered to post in this thread was to point out that they had realized their failure (perhaps by angry viewers "in the know"s mail) and had taken the hammers to a real smith for a proper hardening.

That being said, perhaps some of you know a better way to demonstrate the dangers of banging two hammer heads together.

put fingers between hammers. Tim Allen was supposed to be funny too and them Orange County Chumps too. But they just come across so stupid its pathetic and then young impressionable kids try the Garbage they pull, its a sad world when you need to watch Morons do stupid dumb things to supposedly entertain yourself.

put fingers between hammers.
No, that only demonstrates the dangers of putting fingers between hammer heads being banged together.
Tim Allen was supposed to be funny too
Well, judging by how rich he became from doing his stand-up and sitcom that lasted for many years, I would say that there is a large number of people who enjoyed his comedy and found him funny. But since you didn't find him funny, those who do must be wrong.
and them Orange County Chumps too.
I never knew humor was supposed to be part of the tv show American Chopper. (If that is indeed who you are talking about) Again, judging by how much fame and money they have made while doing something they truly love, building custom motorcycles, there must be a lot of people who take an interest in it. Guess they are all wrong for being interested.
and then young impressionable kids try the Garbage they pull
Well, if they are so impressionable, why aren't they doing what they are told at the beginning of every episode of Mythbusters?? "Never try this at home".. And where are the parents of these impressionable kids? Out working at the forge after work, having no idea where their kids are or what they are doing?
its a sad world when you need to watch Morons do stupid dumb things to supposedly entertain yourself.
No, that's exactly what makes the world great! Not having to comform to someone else's idea of good entertainment.

By the way.. Calling someone a moron in the same sentence as saying "stupid dumb" make you sound....... Well, you decide.

I really don't know what is happening in this thread.. In all the posts I have read in this forum, everyone is kind, helpful, polite, and respectful. But here, all I see is people being harsh and rude.. What gives?

Wow, you must be a fan. I watch all those shows just mentioned and I enjoy them, however they are just for entertainment and part of that entertainment is them getting it wrong. As for American chopper they do some very stupid things and I'm am sure there are a few young'ns that get carried away with what they see on the show and it does at times look as if the ones on the show are sending a bad message to kids so I could see it not being a good show for kids. Its is on late at night around here so I don't see a big problem with to much influence on the kids (youg ones). Parental control should be emphisized. Laviathin I think you are getting a bit carried away, some people don't like the show, so what. It sounds as if you took it personal and it sure wasn't meant to be.

Fred

Mythbusters is a television show that is hosted by two "professionals with xx years of experience" who attempt to bust or confirm a myth that is held to be at least partly true by the general public. They have the funds available for a explosive expert, a firearms expert, etc when needed, but the research department missed consulting a metallurgists for the proper information when doing the hammer show.

They did NOT do their homework and presented bad information in the area of the hardening and tempering of metal. The blacksmith knows and uses this information and evidently many brought it to their attention. Torin on this site was one of those blacksmiths.

Related links on the hammer discussion

Physics help

Hammer breaking ups and downs...

I don't know enough about tempering and heat treating yet to comment on that aspect, but I can tell you right off that from a firefighting standpoint that segment was a disaster waiting to happen. They were working with a flaming liquid on a wooden pallet, they were not wearing any sort of SCBA or air filters, they used the fire extinguisher improperly, they used a sub-optimal type of extinguisher, and they when they failed to extinguish the main fire, they decided to remove the oil-soaked, flaming hammer and hit it with compressed gas... they're lucky that didn't spray flaming motor oil all over that one girl who was holding it. All in all a rather poor showing of common sense.

Television is mass media. As a business it has to make money. In order to make money, shows are designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Shows such as this will not appeal to persons with more intellect because they will not be able to stand the rhetoric.

As people age, they learn. It is in human nature to learn. So persons who are older tend to learn from life's lessons. Thus they no longer are part of the lowest common denominator. Very few TV shows are directed to the intellectual crowd.

When I was a kid I couldn't get enough of Gilligan's Island. My mom said it was an awful show and stopped me from watching it. She told me of the corporate formula for making tripe, money making shows and how it was trash and it would rot my brain.
I never understood her. Seemed like a laugh riot to me and I liked the characters. I just couldn't understand her point of view.

I do now. Now that there has been enough water under my own bridge I understand all too clearly. Not long ago I saw an episode of GI. When I saw it was coming on I was excited to see my old favorite show, but was disappointed by what I saw. The show was the same, but I am different now. Sad and confused I turned off the show after only 10 minutes. I rather would like to keep my fond memories intact.

Mom was right.

If you are watching a show and you find it stupid, you just expanded your mind and didn't know it.

Christopher

They've got fans who won't put up with criticism of the show.

I went on the Mythbusters website to comment on their "tracer ammunition" starting fires episode. They had a lot of incorrect information that their "firearms expert" didn't correct, unless it was purposely designed to fail.(I spent 25 years in ammunition development and manufacturing and thought I would give them the correct info.) The other people on the website jumped all over me for daring to correct their heros. I've never seen such rude responses on a forum.

Steve

Yes, that is rather lame.. Especially since the show pretty much invites criticism.. They know they foul things up and that's why they revisit some of the myths..

The response you got can be found in just about every fanbase of any show, though.. Just the way some people are.. I am a fan.. I'd even say that I'm a big fan of that particular show. Why? It provokes thought, not just gazing at the box. But, even as a big fan, I could really care less what other people think of them, or the show. Different strokes for different folks, ya know?

What I DO care about is when people make rude comments about people who like the show, since I am one of them. I'll never understand how someone can say it's a "sad world" because people enjoy a television show that they don't.

LeViAtHaN,

WOW bloke , sorry my coment's ave upset you so much .

I'll bit me tounge next time & keep all me coments ta meself .

So much for " free speech "

And as for " rude " coment's , pull your head in , you ave attacked me & irnsrgn for voicin' " our " opinion on the subject ( BTW i do watch the show & get a laugh at some of the things they " try " do )

Different strokes for different folks, ya know?

Thank's for the memories mate ,, this i'll be the last post i ever put inta the forums

Dale Russell

This is getting way out of hand.

Dale- I found your comment to be rude, and sarcastic, so I responded likewise. If that is an attack by your standards, then so be it. Sounds like you can dish it out, but you can't take it.. And now you're playing the martyr... Can't post in the forum again because the big bad leviathan was rude also.. Need a tissue?

As for Irnsrgn, same thing. I made a failed attempt at returning the conversation to the original subject of hammer shattering, and asked for ideas of a better way to illustrate the dangers of such. What did I get? Sarcasm. "Put fingers between hammers" Along with a slough of attacks on other shows. I really don't care whether he likes those shows or not, but when he says its a sad world because people do, I felt the need to remind him that his OPINION is simply not fact.

Now that TH spouted off with "Fact based life is too much for some to handle." it is becoming clear that only followers are allowed to post here, and disagreeing with the clique on something as subjective as entertainment based television is the same as putting a bullseye on your forehead.

Your statement is true, though, TH. I think that's why my posts ruffled so many feathers and are now being labeled as attacks, but not the posts mine were responses to.

It's better to keep your mouth closed and have people think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

LeViAtHaN = 9 posts

irnsrgn = 850+ posts

Who do you think is more popular on this forum?

LeViAtHaN, if it was my forum I would boot you out for stirring the pot like that. Decorum prohibits me from telling you what I think of you.

Dale, I hope you choose to ignore this newcomer and keep posting. I like me mates from down under.

Christopher

Now that TH spouted off with "Fact based life is too much for some to handle." it is becoming clear that only followers are allowed to post here, and disagreeing with the clique on something as subjective as entertainment based television is the same as putting a bullseye on your forehead.

I have posted the entire paragraph so the intent is NOT taken out of context.

"only followers are allowed to post here"
WRONG, anyone that registers to the site is allowed to post to any part of the forum, it is the same privilege you (LeViAtHaN) were provided when you registered.

"disagreeing with the clique"
WRONG, there is NO CLIQUE as you suggest. As site admin, I try to hold everyone to the same standard. No one has special privileges.

"disagreeing (clipped) on something as subjective as entertainment based television is the same as putting a bullseye on your forehead."
Right, as "entertainment television" invites discussion where there are few if any facts to consider. It is a personal opinion as to what is entertaining.

"Now that TH spouted off" followed by "Your statement is true, though,"
The way this is worded does invite a reply, and your choice of words could indeed ruffle some feathers.

IForgeIron is an informational resource. Discuss most any topic (except religion and politics), but keep it on topic and provide references and facts for your statements.

The topic here is mythbusters Episode 67 Firearms Folklore Original Airdate November 29, 2006 concerning the myth "If two hammers strike each other, or a hammer strikes an anvil, at least one hammer will completely shatter with lethal force."