I Forge Iron

Steel thickness for fire ring?

plane_crazzy

I am working on a portable fire ring. I have made a couple of them already but I need to revise my sides thickness. I used 1/8" on the last one and think I could still lighten it up some. I have looked at some sheet metal but I am iffy on how well that would hold up. The rings are about 24" Square with angle iron in the 4 corners. Anyone have some experience on what to use?

Pardon me, but what is a fire ring and if it's a ring, why is it square?

While many use a ring of stones, the metal ring is nicer in a permant installations, like a park or camp ground, even the back yard. Helps to keep burning things in, and childrens feet out.

My ring is stout sheet metal, about 1/16 inch (#16?) or maybe a little thinner, with decorations pierced into it. It has 1/2 x 1/8 bar stock welded to the top and bottom as rims, and the ends of these bars have joggles so the rim forms a nice circle from 4 pieces. The 4 pieces are fastened with 1/4-20 bolts welded on as studs.

I bought it at the store, it is a rather inexpensive unit. The bolts are welded onto the back of the bars, and at least one stud has broke. I probably will have to make a repair to several places on it next time I need to move it, but it hasn't moved in a couple years since it is big enough to just clean with a shovel being about 3 ft across.

At my mother in law's we use cinder blocks. The bottom row is on the sides so air goes through, the top row is upright to contain the fire better. 5 bricks per side with an overlap. The top row is running bond fashion to the lower row. Every few fires a brick crumbles, but it works well for burning debris and later roasting marshmallows, hot dogs, and brats. The fire dept has looked at it and gave their approval too.

Phil

I am working on a portable fire ring. I have made a couple of them already but I need to revise my sides thickness. I used 1/8" on the last one and think I could still lighten it up some. I have looked at some sheet metal but I am iffy on how well that would hold up. The rings are about 24" Square with angle iron in the 4 corners. Anyone have some experience on what to use?

Unless your building tiny camp fires, you might consider a larger ring. Nice (pronounced "safer") to have a bit of a buffer between fire and ring.

A local Veteran's group has one made out of the end of an old oil or water tank for doing flag retirements: portable in the fact that it is on a sled that can be pulled by a tractor.

3/16" tread plate seems to be the smallest size that holds up without additional bracing, uneven heating will cause warping no matter what you do.

sorry for being slow on the reply, been a busy week. I like the square design because it can easily be taken apart and it makes it easier to make a support for a stainless steel grate across the top to cook on. the 24" is a request, I prefer the 30" that I have, but I have a request for one that is smaller.