I Forge Iron

Can I use galvanized pipe in my brake rotor forge

Nick Esposito

Probably the pipe areas of the forge will not get enough heat to be a serious problem.  Why tempt fate though?  You can use black pipe instead... which is widely available for use as gas lines.  Or you can easily remove galvanized coatings with a day or two soaking in vinegar if you are salvaging pipes.  

I use blackiron pipe simply because as bigfoot said, "why tempt fate". My brakedrum forge does get hot at the point of connection with the pipe. Check with local plumbing supply companies. 

What is your general location? There may be smiths nearer than you think that can help.

Mark <><

If your going to use black pipe, and your planning a small forge, you may consider using a 2" into 6 or 8" bell reducer instead of a break drum for your fire bowl. I've seen one used to good effect. As to larger diameters, I live in the middle of the Oklihoma oil fields so I haunt the oilfield supply houses.

Welcome aboard Nicholas, glad to have you. If you'll pur your general location in your header you might be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

The air supply piping of your forge will not get hot enough to cause the zinc to burn, think medium orange heat to braze and a bit higher to light the zinc. If the tuyere of a coal forge gets that hot you have something way more serious to worry about.

Don't get me wrong, breathing zinc oxide smoke is never a good idea but unless you're sensitive to it, it isn't going to do serious damage unless you do something really outside reason. The recent event that has a lot of the gang really up about zinc smoke is the near suicidal behavior of Paw Paw Wilson. He loaded a gas forge with galvy pipe short sections, literally packed it and burned the galvy off. Two loads as I recall and even though he opened the shop doors and windows he did himself a massive overdose and on top of that didn't seek medical care when it would've done him some good.

Still, being conservative where safety is concerned is a good idea. The tuyere on my coal forge is exhaust tubing, it's cheap, clean and easy to work with. All you really need is a sabre saw, drill and pop rivet set. Sure, I migged mine together but you don't need that much. What I really like about exhaust pipe is making the ash dump, simply buy a flap cap, clamp it to the bottom of the vertical pipe with a little extension to counter weight it and hold it closed. the extension can point out front so you can flip it open with tongs or whatever you have at hand.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I can get black iron pipe its just harder to find in 2'' size at hardware stores.

Get thought process away for traditional hardware stores and look at farm supplies or industrial suppliers or warehouse businesses that are plumbing suppliers....

Found what I needed at local farm/ranch/industrial supplier and cheaper than Home Depot and Lowes (who did not have all I needed in stock) ...

Dale