I Forge Iron

The best hammer for forging and why ???

ozzy1040

Well if we're going all power tool what about hydraulic presses?  Those seem to work pretty well and I like the idea of having that much control on when it "strikes", especially with some of the schematics I've seen(remarkably similar to wiring, just with an actual tangible liquid form of "juice")...  But I'm pretty sure just starting out you're probably just talking about a hand hammer.

So other than these power hammer and press guys it sounds like first off that the best hammer is one that the "hammerer" knows how to use accurately and that understands the various ways that a hammer can be used to move metal and also knows the effective ways to move metal AND has a plan for how to accomplish the overall task.   

That was a long sentence....  

Maybe not even a proper sentence...

But in some ways it touches on how complicated I see this craft.  It is complicated because there simply is nothing else even remotely like it!   Which also makes it so fascinating!  AND FUN!    AND REWARDING!  AND FRUSTRATING!

BillyO I am with you on that one, but saying that check Brian Brazeal's vid. The man is a legend!!
it is not the hammer that maketh "the legend"

A highly trained smith can do more using just a rock than a novice with a $100 hammer!

thomas, you have nailed it (pun intended)

is there a perfect pen for a writer? it is the skill of the craftsman. a learner driver in a formula 1 car does not make a professional driver.

dude, use a ball pein, or whatever you want, just do something with it!
i have at least 40 hammers, of many sizes and styles, with an investment of no more than $40 in total.... so the best hammer for my work is always there for the reaching.

I like to use many different hammers. As long as they have a convex face with a radius they work really well. And the weight seems to be more of a matter of taste. That and the size (mass) of the workpiece.

It is interesting to note that a ball pien is technically a "machinist's" hammer, yet I see many black & white photographs of blacksmiths holding one, standing proudly next to thier forge or anvil.

It is interesting to note that a ball pien is technically a "machinist's" hammer, yet I see many black & white photographs of blacksmiths holding one, standing proudly next to thier forge or anvil.

I've always wondered why the ball pein was the default hammer (for blacksmiths inter alia) in the UK, or indeed what they were originally designed to do. In continental Europe I believe they are considered quite exotic.

More commonly known as Engineers Ball Pein hammers in the UK, makes more sense than a "Machinists Hammer", Lead, copper, rawhide are more usful when machining, they tend not to damage the machine or machined work surfaces, and bed down items better when they are in a clamping device. 

I have two hammers that i use for 80% of all my work and it is because I like the way they feel, I like the story behind how i aquired them and am pleased with the work I produce with them. With that said wy good buddy hates one of them and his reason is that it just dosn't feel right to his hand. So there you have all my "technical" advice about hammers.

The best hammer is your mental confidance!!! After that is don't much matter you can do great work with a Rock fastened to a stick.