I Forge Iron

Why is the old Smith smiling ?

macbruce

To me its-- Because He like's his work :) to him its not a job its a challenge :) !! Hench its a venture into LOL well its HOT :)
SO ?? why do we do what we do ?? myself its the call of the metal not the profit LOL :) it has always been a need / a Love :wub:
for the art of welding & years later metal smithing :) AND the learning on this sight !!!!! :)

It is a self portrait. MacBruce has finally found the killer app for his "foam rubba" anvils.

He is going make a million bucks by reselling asian import BudK SLO's to on-line gamers who live in their mom's basement by proving his 'magic' blades will cut thru anvils. He will have a viral youtube video and everything to prove he is legit. He just needs a line on balsa wood stumps to start filming.

The older and shorter gentleman could not use that anvil as the anvil face would be about mid chest to arm pit high, taking into account the dip in the floor. The hammer appears a striking hammer of about 20 pounds or more. I doubt that the gentleman of slight stature could manage swinging it for long, if at all. The tongs would appear to be quite large and require both hands for the gentleman of slight stature. The tongs on the wall would be more his size. The forge appears to be rather high (tall) and the stirrup handle to activate the bellows is not conveniently placed for at the forge. Not going to mention the sandals vs shoes. Both men would have to stoop over or duck to get through the door.

Now the fellow holding the sword appears to be of proper stature to work at the anvil, forge, etc. The sword appears to be a working size wepon for someone of his stature.

It would appear the artist took several liberties when he drew the image.

Considering the height of anvil and the grining man, I would say the Master of that shop is away, this is an imposter, Obviously too old to be his apprentice, and he is poaching in this shop.

Now not only has he sold his competitor hand made sword to this cleint, and will keep the sales proceeds for himself, But by halfing the anvil, has put his competition out of business for a while as well.

Just a guess, by way of the Sherlock Holms school of thought on the existing evidence of the engraving. :D

This is a scene from the Germanic myth of the Nibelungenlied. The sword had to be used to slay a dragon. The first two had shattered when struck upon the anvil. Everyone knows that dragons have a whole mess of gold, so yes, the dwarf is lined up for a fortune.... until he tries to murder the hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelungenlied

Edit: added wikipedia address.

Considering the height of anvil and the grining man, I would say the Master of that shop is away, this is an imposter, Obviously too old to be his apprentice, and he is poaching in this shop.

I think this could be it, everybody knows there's no way you could live that long with an un vented forge...... or it could show what happens to a 30 year old smith after say 10 years of breathing that crap plus he's suffering from dementia..... :wacko: