I Forge Iron

What would you do with a slewing bearing ring?

Came across this nice slewing bearing ring in the dumpster- it is in beautiful shape and nothing wrong with it.
Turns smoothly, grease looks perfect in there. I looked up the manufacturer, and this model is rated to 1700 lbs of axial force.
Not sure of the radial force rating yet. There is also a center plate that was botled to it.

I know this could be a very useful item for something. But what is the best application for it in the blacksmith shop?

Maybe a rotating rack for hammers/tongs/tooling was what popped in my mind first.
I have very limited space in my area, so that might be nice to get access to a lot of tooling in a little space.

But I'm thinking there may be some sort of scrolling or bending tool to make from this too....

What would you use it for?

post-25745-0-05602400-1351092576_thumb.j

post-25745-0-51279400-1351092589_thumb.j

post-25745-0-39635800-1351092600_thumb.j

Well I laid it on the floor with some 4x4's across the top and had myself and a bigger guy stand on it while it easily spun, so that's good for at least 450# or so.....
I do have a 900# machine not installed at the moment, I suppose I could put that on there too for the heck of it just to see. ;)
But I wouldn't doubt that it may be perfectly fine, you should see some of the stuff they pitch in the dumpster.

you might think of setting it up as a welding table i really love having a table that spins it lets you move the work around as you weld admittedly mine is only a a 24x24 but it has been incredibly handy

for what my 0.02$ are worth i second the welders lazy susan idea, i find being able to access other sides of what i am working on without needing to relocate myself or lift and turn the item itself (especially if it is not yet joined) to be very advantageous and i would assume that this can be extrapolated to projects of any size.