I Forge Iron

New sword

Phillip Patton

Hey all,
Just thought I'd share some pics of my latest sword. I started it three and a half years ago, and just finished it last week.

It’s similar to a Petersen Type L. The blade is 30-3/4″ long, and is pattern welded with three core bars, and high layer edge wrap. Steel is 1084 and 15n20.

The fittings are also damascus (O1 and L6), and the grip is desert ironwood covered with leather.

The whole thing weighs 23.7 ounces. It balances about 6" from the guard.

Some pictures of the finished project. Well, just the sword. Have to make the scabbard yet.

wip224.jpg

wip225.jpg

wip226.jpg

wip227.jpg

wip228.jpg

wip229.jpg

wip230.jpg

wip231.jpg

wip232.jpg

wip235.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Phillip

Phillip,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on a job well done (1st here anyway... I saw it yesterday on the other forum).

It looks beautiful, but I love the flex shot. Most first-timers (myself included) would tend toward too stiff, too thick, and too heavy.

The fact that the pattern weld lends itself to this much spring is a testimony to your craftsmanship.

Well done,

Don

Great work! love how you have tapered the core bars to the final shape, and nailed the fuller right on the edge of the wrap ! the low layers are very effective.

Super neat twisting aswell ! I bet you were twitching a bit not to have any 'plain' on the interupted portions keeping the layers 'up' :D (was that nine twists, or nine and a half.... eeek, :lol: )

Checked out your thread on the other forum. the "making of" and i must say. since i started dabbling in Blacksmithing. i have learned a little. and since my apprenticeship to Stan(Trying-it) i have seen so much more i wish to do with metal. Seeing this WIP reminds me of what first peeked my interest in blacksmithing. I look forward to the day when i get to the place you are. That is a beautiful sword.

• 5 months later...