I Forge Iron

Got a new/old double piked anvil coming my way

A while back i put out emails and texts to all my friends asking if they knew the whereabouts of any anvils. I'd found a forge and so naturally needed an anvil.

I ended up finding this old thing:

IMG_0145.jpg

After a clean up she looked much better:

IMG_0160.jpg

Not much, but it'd do for a start!

On Monday evening i had a call from a deer stalking friend of mine, "Nick, I've found you an old anvil, it's got two pointy ends, one flat, one round and a couple of holes in the top. It's been at the back of a shed for 50 years, it's bloody heavy, i can't lift it".

This was all the info i had on it, then i got this photo:

IMG_0304_zps5727a7b1.jpg

I'm now really excited as i always liked the idea of a double piked anvil, but they normally go for silly money. This one's coming for free! He won't take any money, but i have to forge him a blade on it. Can't say fairer than that :)

I asked if there's any markings or names on it, but he'd left for a trip to Scotland, so i won't know for a week or two now :(

Nice anvil! That's a double horn Peter Wright anvil. Those are RARE!

Be sure to post pictures of you using it, we LOVE pictures!

Will most definitely take some photos mate.

Do you really think it's a PW? I thought it might be with those flat areas on the base, but then i thought that would be too good to be true :)

I'll go with an "English response".....
Bloody hell, please no! Don't touch it with a mill!!

Lovely anvil. I'd love to see it cleaned up with a wire wheel and rubbed down with some linseed oil. Oooh la lah!

Don't worry folks, no way I'd get this one milled! The little one got done because it's face was a complete mess of rust and pitting.

This'll get a good going over with a wire wheel, and I've heard of this stuff:

http://www.idealworld.tv/Black_Magic_Paint_-_2.5_Litre_Tin_@bCovers_approx_28_Square_Metr_156102_156102.aspx?fh_location=//idealworld/en_GB/&cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Ideal%20Feed-_-Home-_-Black_Magic_Paint_-_2.5_Litre_Tin_%40bCovers_approx_28_Square_Metr_156102

I might give the base and sides a coat of it in the name of preservation :)

You should try the electrolysis technique for removing the rust from that lass! The rust-preventing paint isn't nearly as good as an occasional rub down with an oily rag, you just need to get her down to bare metal first. Electrolysis seems to be a great way to clean rust off, particularly for men of a more sedate nature. Let the electricity do the work for you!

Either way, she looks a sure beauty, for sure, and I wouldn't mind having it in my shop should you decide to donate it to the cause!

I'm afraid i haven't seen her in the flesh yet, only got the scale of the anvil and the wheel behind it to go on really. If my guesstimations are correct she's a minimum 200 lb'er.

I've been reading through this thread with interest re electrolysis:

I think that i could do that fairly easily. I've worked as a diamond tool maker since leaving the army, and the electrolysis technique is exactly what we do to coat tools in diamond, except that our anodes are Nickel and the solution is also Nickel based. So i should be able to take it into work and get it in a tank. I could wire it up to our meters, some of which go up to 20+ amps, though I'm not sure it'll need that much juice!

Well it could still be a "Foreigner", only thing leading to the belief it may be a PW is the shape of the base. Surely he can't have been the only anvil maker that put those flats on?

Each day that passes brings me nearer to seeing it, really looking forward to it now. :)

This pic shows a few more anvils made in the UK

anvilrecce1.jpg

anvilrecce3_zps6b17125f.jpg

What are your thoughts about the best anvil stands?

When i get this baby I'm going to need to get it on a stand. I really like the look of some of the laminated ply pyramid stands, but are they the best option? Or just a relatively cheap way of doing it?

What are your thoughts about the best anvil stands?

When i get this baby I'm going to need to get it on a stand. I really like the look of some of the laminated ply pyramid stands, but are they the best option? Or just a relatively cheap way of doing it?

For the most part any anvil stand that's well built works.
I love my three legged stands. Sturdy. Heavy. Can be bolted to the floor.
Stumps etc work too.

Well kids, I've brought her home and had a clean up. She's not a Peter Wright, she's an Isaac Nash! Done some military service, two other name stamps in the body with the broad arrow next to them, pics to follow.

There seems to be a bad crack around the thickest part of the round horn, enough of one to make me fear to bang on it. T'is a sad thing, but can't complain with a freebie!

Incidentally, she weighs 233lbs