I Forge Iron

5th Generation to forge on this anvil

Two of my Daughters asked if I would let them do some Blacksmithing. Exuberantly said YES! We went over the safety rules once again even though they know them I wanted to reinforce them and add now that they will no longer be simply observing that the steel is HOT, even if it doesn't look like it. Alas some lesson you have to learn for yourself. My twelve year old touched her piece of black iron while describing what she wanted to do with it. Instantly she knew her mistake and put cool water on her fingers. Not too bad a burn. You can hardly see it, but she did learn which is a blessing. She continued to forge after that. My eight year old avoided burns altogether. She didn't move much metal but learned how to swing a hammer. Hopefully they will both continue. while I started to write this post I realized that they are the 5th generation in my family to use this anvil. I think all the Grand-dads would be proud.

Please tell the older one to use the BACK of her hand to do the brushing. If a piece of metal sticks in the back of your hand you can still hold a hammer. IF it sticks into the front / fingers or palm, your forging may be over till the sliver of metal is removed and the hand has a day or so to heal.

Better yet, use the hammer or have a dedicated brush near the anvil.

Great idea to allow them to learn about the craft. They will remember it the rest of their lives.

That's really cool SandDragon.. My whole pirate shtick started for a number of reasons. One of them was thanks to my wife she's dressed as Disney princesses for birthdays.. I'd eventually like to do parties as a Pirate making trinkets kinda like a clown doing balloon animals.. I think they might get a kick out of it.. I dunno.. it's neat to see this sort of thing. :) Makes me really want to reach a level where I can pass on the craft a bit more.

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words. I got my 10 year old out there today and she got to beat on some hot metal. She made a hook to hang on her desk at school and my youngest made a plant hanger for her teacher. Now I've had all three of them out there working and they all enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...

good to see mate,new this old italian bloke ,he was sixth gen blacksmith ,born in a shop in his fathers town ,tear welled in his eyes when he related not one of his many grandchildren wanted to know about the art,since died and gear sold,your lucky mate,glen