I Forge Iron

Quad State for the first time? ( and for a beginner )

I'm trying to pull off a visit to Quad State this year. It would be my first visit.

I am so new at smithing I'm not even sure I can call myself a beginner.

I did a little horse trading and I got myself a forge and some tools. I have a harbor
frieght anvil shaped object....

largeforgeII.jpg

...some hammers and a post vice that needs a new spring.

I goal is to be able to make hardware for my woodworking and to have some fun making other
cool things. Adapting hardware never works like I want it to.

http://s147.photobuc...king/?start=all

I want to get the most out of the trip and I'm not sure what to expect and what to prepare for.

Advice? Suggestions?

( Oh yeah..... Hi, I'm Jim... ( also known as Conal ) I'm the new guy. )

Quad states will have almost anything you think you will need. Take a truck, fill it with money. I can't see a blower for the forge, what kind is it hand or electric? There is camping on the grounds, saves alot of money if you are so inclined. Get there the day before it starts to get the best deals at the tail gates. With that out of the way you can then spend your time picking brains and watching some quality workmanship. Have a great time.

Oh you're going to have fun! I came away from my first smithing conference (not Quad State, that's still on the list) inspired and energized with a dozen new skills and twice as many project ideas.

Bring a camera, a notebook and the aforementioned lots of money for a real anvil and a blower. Nice forge by the way, much better than the ASO.

Also, if you have a business card with your contact information its good to have a handful of them. You meet a lot of like minded people at a gathering of smiths and its nice to keep in contact after the event.

I can't see a blower for the forge, what kind is it hand or electric?

It has an electric blower.... But I'm playing around with a hand crank self made contraption that I hope to
put into service soon. The speed control for the blower is really fiddly.... hard to get slow speeds adjusted
and I tend to leave it higher than I need and leave it on when it does not have to be because it is such a
pain in the XXXX to adjust. .... I want to be able to switch back and forth between the two. I just need to
figure out an easy way to do that.

blowerV-1.jpg

Since this picture was taken I've replaced the pedals with handles but I
have not yet hooked it up to the forge

I look forward to visiting with you. Come by my "Knife Dogs Hospitality Tent" I will have a large horse trailer with living quarters and a large canopy with a Knife Dogs banner on one of the tables.
I will be ready to take all of that money that you have been advised to bring.

I live at the south end a Big South Fork just out of KY so about as far away as we can get with only all of KY between us.

I live in Southern Indiana. Almost as far south as you be in Indiana and not be in KY :)
There is a indiana Blacksmithing group over in South eastern Indiana, You will be welcome there as well as at our group, the Southern Indiana Meteroite Mashers, known for our forge master Billy Merrit. In fact the August meeting is in My shop in Floyds Knobs, just north of Louisville. If interested e-mail me for directions, the meeting is August 25th, and we are planning a 4 man team forgining a split cross from 3" square stock in the afternoon.

I will be bringing a bunch of tools for sale, I have to downsize, I have too much $$ tied up in tools, and most here know I sell my stuff very reasonably, I will set up in the tailgate area, likely 3 anvils, tongs hardies, and many other metal shaping tools and odds and ends, Seldom and I will travel down on thursday.

i'll be there
Have about 5 anvils left ( sold around 40 on ebay so far )
couple forges / blowers / 4 or 5 large swage blocks and stands and a whole lot of misc. stuff.
Got too much stuff that I dont need now and probally will never need.
Usually sell right much stuff but the problem is I usually buy more than I sell.
Will try to reign that in a little .

Howdy Conal; glad you showed up! I've been off getting dental work done in Mexico.

Quad-State is at a county fair site so camping can be either RV with a hook-ups of primitive---with primitive being cheaper---I usually use my SCA tent.

I can't go or else I'd just say camp with me; but all the camping is fairly close together---not like Pennsic!

Remember that many deals are negotiable and as mentioned as time gets towards packing up some folks will be happy to lower their prices. Unfortunately when you wait till Sunday to get a better price you usually find out they left Saturday! (The story of my life).

Quad State is a good place for postvises (and refractories...) (and tools) (and books)

• 2 weeks later...