I Forge Iron

saving books

Drewy

Last night we had two earth quakes M4.3 strike about 50km from home, house shook abit so we ran onto the street and hung around outside for about hour. My wife asked what would you save, and I replied wife and kids first, then my collection of blacksmithing books which totals around 75 books. The first I would grab are-
The Art of Traditional Blacksmithing A Norwegian Perspective.
To The Core by Alfred Bullermann
Intuitively Creative Metalworking Design
The Skill of the Blacksmith Vol 1&2 by Mark Asprey

I feel if these were the only ones I saved, I would have a good reference point for ideas and skills design. Interested to hear what others would save and why???

I must agree with biggun saving photo's very important, I've got lots of photo's of me with my anvil, powerhammer, various tools etc, all worth saving. I have reviewed my evacuation plan and moved the book case beside the front door.

Most of our photo's are now digitial so the external hard drive would be important - an awful lot of smithing download and designs are on it too.

I am not religious, but I have a family bible more than three hundred years old with lots of names and dates in it, it would be the first book I tried to save.

We had a fire in out-buildings when I was a child, it was a near thing but the house didn't catch fire. Since then I have often thought about precautions. The one I have made, with regard to books, is to have emailed a pic' of my library to myself.

On that subject... we were advised by a friend in the insurance business to walk around the place with a video camera and leave a copy of the movie with a friend; it guarantees no disputes if you have to make a claim.

Really?? The easiest book on the planet to replace and you risk your life to save one??
I am with biggun, go for the photos.

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the question was what BOOKS you would save. If that is not the case then I would grab my family, my photos and my bug-out bag. Bart

If you're just talking about fave books, a few of mine I've gathered over the years would be:
"Stahl Gestaltung" by Fritz Kuhn
"Werk und Werkzeug des Kunstschmieds" by Otto Schmirler
"Plain and Ornamental Forging" by Ernst Schwarzkopf
"The 20th Century Toolsmith and Steelworker" by Henry Holford

I have been blacksmithing for nearly thirty years, for most of that time I only had half a dozen books, with Otto Schmirler "the smithy's craft and tools" being my fave for many years (wore out the pages). Its only recently I've been able to purchase the bulk of my blacksmithing libruary, thanks to the likes of Artisan Ideas and Amazon.
At least we have outlets that sell these books and can replace most titles fairly easily.

We normally don't get quakes (1969) was last one. we are four hours off the coast and 400M above sea.level, so no tidal waves, but we do have the threat of bush fires. And sizable floods, when we are not in drought. mother nature never try and tame her, just live by her laws.

Hmm; we have so many books; but some of the ones I would make an effort for are: The Knight and the Blast furnace, The Celtic Sword, my volumes of Points of interest, Steelmaking before Bessemer, Geschmiedetes Eisen---1939 edition, Wrought Iron and its Decorative Use---1929 edition, Googerty's 1914 edition, Mechanics Exercises,Iron and Brass implements of the English House, Bartolomeo Scappi's Opera, Solid Phase Welding, Metalworking techniques for Craftsmen, ASM handbooks

Really I have 2 complete bookcases that I would toss out the window if I had the chance.

Making digital copy of your photo's and an inventory is a good idea; but please send them to someone in a different part of the country! Any massive destructive event might get a close friend but mush less likely to take out a relative 2000 miles away...

Ahh good old Missouri fallen over tornadoes. We had one go through a few years back and the neighbors new pole barn got spread downwind a good half mile. I am less that a quarter mile south of him and I got nothing but the noise.
Dang now I need another bugout bag with for the books and my favorite hammer, hadn't thought of that one.
I guess the one book that would be at the top of my list is Francis Whitakers recipies in iron.

drewy,recon i would of course get the folks out first if not to big a shake and we were all in good nic,books, have a small amount of ion idriess books ,not sure how far this mans works went(as far as world sales ) but inspired me as a young child, would run with an arm load of these,glen

Glen Ion Iddriess spent some of his youth around this district (Narrabri & Moree) I've never read his books, but will have a look out for them. One chap at work deals second hand books on the side will ask him to keep an eye out. Always like a read that is inspiring.

regards Drewy

My wife keeps an emergency bag current and ready to go out the door. Medical supplies that include MORE than band aids..i.e.. splints,wraps,pain killer,blankets,water,etc. In an emergency of large magnitude you should be prepared to help someone who fell and has a gaping wound.
There is a relatively new product that all EMTs carry that absolutely stops arterial bleeding called Quick Clot. It is not cheap but I wouldn't be with out it. PLEASE,all of you, get some and keep one in your shop!!!! The need to stop arterial bleeding could come up in anybody's shop.I believe this product was just recently developed during the Gulf War.

Thomas sounds like a early morning activity. Have you try mowing with " round up" works a treat. I guess when we choose to live in these type environments we need to plan for the worst case senario, and hope it doesn't happen, unfortunatlly with the Australian Bush it happens way to often, and it takes years to rebuild.

regards Drewy

Currently we have two major fires going in NM:

"The Little Bear fire has destroyed 224 homes, 10 buildings and is 35 percent contained" "nearly 60 square miles so far"

And the currently 438-square-mile Gila fire. (Gets less press now as it's in a remote area compared to the Little Bear fire...)

I worried more about flooding last place I lived; but we get those too even here in the desert!