I Forge Iron

Overkill may be Protection: Most times we think a purpose for something like a cage is just for one reason. However, just once in awhile, it can have other purposes we never thought of, or unintended consequences that we are not aware of that the long dead previous owner had in mind. I purchased the "overkill" 50 lb little giant. When I went to pick it up, I was told they had a forklift and good operator who was the only certified forklift operator. There you have it. Without going into great detail, the operator wasn't so good, and the cage protected the hammer from damage. I want to thank the previous hammer operator who installed the well-built cage as I truly needed it that day. He is in the big blacksmith shop above, and I hope he can hear this prays. The cage is coming off. It has served it's purpose and done it's time. I hope to give it new life soon and now I know that maybe the things I do may have consequences down the line that I don't see right now or may never see.

if you are going to build it why not over build it. and i love my little giant. i think the knowledge, skill, time, money, and love that sid and his family have given to rebuild not only hammers but a company deserve alittle more respect and a big thumbs up.

I agree about hammer handling, especially little giants, because they are heavy and in such an unusual shape. The forklift operator that helped move my little giant was probably good at the usual stuff around his school. He definitely wasn't accustomed to moving something like the little giant, even though, his confidence led him to believe he could do it. If someone had the time, they could produce a video on moving, strapping, chaining, transporting, tilting, where to lift, etc of the little giants. Most of it is common sense but some precautions might help others.

If I don't haul one standing up,I put down a pallet,put a tire on the pallet to protect hammer's working parts,lay the hammer down and strap it. That is a REALLY good way to haul one. Keeps center of gravity of your pickup nice and low. Learned this from Scott Epselin in Butte Montana when I bought my LG 25 from him.

Congratulations on the new hammer. It good to see the ole hammer naked again.

I was hoping someone else would of picked up on this, but I'll have to voice my opinion on the guard. I've seen someone else do this, maybe it explains the guard or not. It was a guard but it was a guard to keep the oil from flying all over the shop. If you notice from the pictures it trapped all the flying oil areas. :P

Still a good looking hammer.

Dave from Diller

Stu, Your welcome to come to my shop and use either my 100 Lb or my 25 Lb Little Giants anytime.. To have such a low opion of them, you obviuosly have never had the chance to forge under one that was properly tuned and maintained, but, you'll have to let me keep an eye on you while "you're" using it, I'm kind of funny about letting rookie Blacksmiths play with any of my equipment.. Using the comparison of a Vulcan anvil to a Hay Budden anvil to describe a Little Giant is absurd, you must be just trying to get a rise out of loyal Little giant owners..

I've made a few keen observations while reading this thread, but I'll keep it polite & professional.. : )~

Hmmm, Just seems to me if you make a statement that other fellows equiptment is ''junk'' you may be right but it's obviously gonna get a rise outta somebody. I may think it, but I won't say it.

Stu,
Thank you very much for the compliment, I'm alot older than I look .. With that said, I've been Blacksmithing since I was 12, and have had experience on all types of power hammers, starting at the age of 13.. Any power hammer could be misconstrued as junk if the operator has no idea or experience on how its suppose to be used.. And no, I'm not saying a Fairbanks can be outran by a Little Giant, I dont recall mentioning a Fairbanks at all, but since the question has been asked, Im almost certain I can do anything on my little giant that you would be able to do on the equivilant ram weight with a fairbanks and I would even be up for the challenge, liability forms signed and all.. I'm confident in my abilities and fully aware of what I can do under any power hammer, given that its properly tuned and not worn out.. Most people under estimate a Little Giant and the capabilties they have because most people are working with one that has had too many hands on it that dont have a clue as to what they were doing to the machine, not to mention how to even use it.. Back to my original comment that you felt the need to bash, I wasnt paying special attention to the hammer because it was a "Little Giant" covered up with all that metal- per say, I would have made the same comment no matter what kind of vintage equipment it happened to be .. No worries, you didnt hurt my feelings, lol.. I'm aware that the remark has no substance, your just having fun.. And feel free to stop by the shop anytime.- Maybe we can trade some swag tips!! Let me know if you want me to PM the address to you.. ttyl

P.S. If you happen to come down , bring some of your dies with you, I'll show you how to clean and properly store them to preserve the shelf life, even in a sweaty shop with a stream...

I'm happy that SoCalDave submitted his photo and talked about his LG. Dave took a short course from me a little while back, and he is getting his shop together. He is retired from a tech position that required the use of all five of his senses. He can correct me, but I think he is currently in a hobbyist phase of smithery. When we're beginning, we glom onto what's available. Some of us do production runs and some of us don't. I have used a 25# LG for 35 years; I poured the babbitt 35 years ago. Sometimes, what we use has to do with the amount of money available and it has to do with priorities.

I've talked to some smiths who will maintain, "Blacksmithing is my life!" That may be OK for them. Personally, I have pervasive interests other than smithing, and my money has not always gone into the shop. Nevertheless, my little LG serves my purposes.

I say, "To each his own," or as my ol' hippy friend used to say, "To own their each." That's probably a non sequitur, but it made me chuckle.

I rather enjoyed this topic and the little banter and gentle argie-bargie that went with it. A bit of light relief from all the political correctness that is thrust upon us and particlarly as all the protaganists appeared suitably well disposed to their subject. So, to you all thank you and Stu, I know you are touchy on spelling. Syllabus is spelt with an a not an i.

Your heated debate/discussion has not gone unnoticed. As long as it stays on subject, the site encourages the exchange. Others can learn from the opinions and information presented, and like many discussions, there are pearls of wisdom to be harvested. Bottom line, when it is over, everyone is still friends and can enjoy sharing a cold beverage ,,,,, together.

And the word is "spelled". Spelt is wheat. :rolleyes: unless you are from old South Africa.

spelt 2 (splt)
v.
A past tense and a past participle of spell1.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

spelt 2 (splt)
v.
A past tense and a past participle of spell1.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

Very old British usage past tense of spell. However, past participle still in modern use. If I had spelt the word correctly I would have gotten a passing grade. :)