I Forge Iron

Perhaps it's from a commercial shop that had mandatory safety inspections.

Or perhaps the owner or a friend has scars from when a spring broke previously.

Nothing wrong with a spring guard, but that thing is ridiculous....I can't see how anyone could stand strait and observe whats happening at the level of the dies, you'd have to bend down to look at what's happening and that ain't safe or comfortable.......

Yeah, that's a lot more guard than most of us would consider even useful but that LG is in a college metal arts shop. Have you EVER tried to make something foolproof? Fools are darned clever you know, they can find their way around most anything.

Most college kids start out darned smart but college has this "effect" on them, hence the guard.

Frosty The Lucky.

Having designed and built guards for most of my industrial career, i would offer that this is an example of a guard designed by a safety guy fresh from school with no experience. I worked for about 10 years with equipment, and then was asked to make guards by a safety guy fresh from school who at least understood his limitations.

I never say fool proof. I say Fool Resistant. The fools will always outsmart you.

I had to look at the photo for over 20 minutes to even figure out there is a power hammer underneath all that material.. Looks like a armoured tank.. I would be ashamed to cover up a beautiful Lil Giant with such a ugly contraption.. )

stewartthesmith I think you should think about your statement about Little Giants being junk. There has been tons of good work done on Little Giant hammers. Maybe you have never had the oppertunity to work on a good one (thats a shame) Just because you don't own one or don't know how to make one run properly does not make them junk. I have owned several and was able to make ALL of them very good hammers. They are not and will never be in the same class as some of the heaver built hammers such as Bradleys etc but the very fact that so many of them has survived while so few of the other brands are around in volume tells the story. I know you have a couple of Bradleys and a Williams and White I think, and love them and they have served you well. I have 4 Bradleys and know they are great hammers. Many people have started with Little Giant and have been pleased with them. others moved on to other brands. The fact that there are new parts that can be easily obtained from a reliable source is huge. A properly tuned Little Giant Is a tool worhty of space in anybodys shop. Ask the 40 some owners of hammers I have rebuilt or the dozens of people who have seen them run by myself or others.

I think you owe Sid and Little Giant an apology.

beautiful little giant is an oxymoron................they are junk

Feeling feisty today Stu? :lol: .........I don't own an LG anymore and I wouldn't call em' pretty but like a Ford or Chevy they get you from A to B just fine, sure beats walkin'....... ;)