I Forge Iron

Peter Ross on the Woodwright's Shop

Thanks for posting the link. That was fun . . . I haven't watched the WWS in a long time . . . Roy is just as goofy as always. At least he didn't hurt himself this time :lol:

I've attended a number of Peter's demo/seminars and he's always a class act. Great mix of outstanding knowledge and humor. First time I met him, I took him for a cruise in my '50 Chevy PU . . . he was excited because he'd found one here on the west coast and was having it shipped back home and when he saw mine we didn't chat about smithing much, it was all "Stovebolt talk!"

Hes been on there at least three times I know of..I watch the woodwrights shop every week..i use to have all the blackmsith related episodes saved on my DVR but it crashed and wiped all of my saved stuff :(

Hes been on there at least three times I know of..I watch the woodwrights shop every week..i use to have all the blackmsith related episodes saved on my DVR but it crashed and wiped all of my saved stuff :(

if you look to the right of screen from the link above there are links to the last 5 years or so

I believe Roy and Peter have been working together for several decades, Roy used to work at Colonial Williamsburg before getting the show. I know I've been seeing Roy doing smithing for many years, say at least 20 and Peter's been the local blacksmith many times.

Thanks for the link, there's been an episode I've wanted to see again for 15-20 years now. Roy builds a log sledge with double moccasin runners and quite a bit of hand forged iron, though I didn't recognize the blacksmith I'd bet it was Peter.

Frosty The Lucky.

That was funny when Roy went to grab peters hammer off the anvil. lol had some one grabbed the hammer off my anvil last week in the shop, and I slapped the back of his hand. Thanks for posting the video

In the episode where they make the pintle hinge, what's the point of thinning the part of the pintle that wraps around the upright pin? Welding the two together is sensible, but is welding necessary? Or was it simply a byproduct of forming the two to one another? I'm thinking the archeological finds are degraded and assumed welded, but I don't know that they would actually be welded. I could be wrong, and I often am, but I don't see the need to weld the pin to the spike that goes through the timber.

Thoughts?

In the episode where they make the pintle hinge, what's the point of thinning the part of the pintle that wraps around the upright pin? Welding the two together is sensible, but is welding necessary? Or was it simply a byproduct of forming the two to one another? I'm thinking the archeological finds are degraded and assumed welded, but I don't know that they would actually be welded. I could be wrong, and I often am, but I don't see the need to weld the pin to the spike that goes through the timber.

Thoughts?

there is an other thought to this it is the book written by Moxon it describes the hing making process in great detail here is a link to the book
http://books.google.com/books?id=t_IRCzjTf08C&printsec=frontcover&dq=josheph+Moxon&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OTS4T4TGIe6f6QHm1ajqCg&ved=0CEcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=josheph%20Moxon&f=false

Here's a scan of the sketch I did. Hope it makes sense, I think what's happening is the two legs on the "front" are bent from one piece, and the third leg is riveted thru the post and center of the two front legs (front in my sketch anyway). the lower legs attach the same way. Open ended collars are rivetted to the stationary post for the adjustable post.

I suppose you could use just about any sized stock on hand to make it. Really elegent little design he came up with.

I always learning something when Peter Ross is on the Woodwright's shop and he and Roy seem to be old friends. He's in some of the earliest WWS shows.

post-182-0-38654400-1337472763_thumb.jpg

I honestly don't see how Roy has any fingers left.

He reaches and grabs like a curious kid, no matter who his guest is.

And he works like a bull in a china shop, but his projects always come out great.

I always enjoy the Woodwright's Shop, but I have to stay up 'til 11:00 to see it.

Thoughts?

The pin is welded so the pin does not twist in the socket of the spike and so that the socket is not deformed when the spike is being driven into the door frame.

Me and dad use to take bets on how long it would take Roy to cut himself :P Since the show is straight taped with no editing he just bleeds and works..Its the longest running "how to" show on TV..Id love to get my hands on the early episodes..Its just a great show.