I Forge Iron

Kentucky Smiths, Attention

Kentucky does not have a pro-active blacksmithing organization! I think there is a group of guys over in the far eastern side of the state, but nothing central and nothing that will attract the bulk of smiths from across the state.

The Kentucky Blacksmithing Association (KBA) folded some time back. I want to get it going again.

Does anyone know who has the legal information regarding the KBA? On a thread sometime back, someone said that someone still had the non-profit information and other legal documents for the KBA.

There seemed to be a lot of interest in the KBA expressed on a previous thread.....now it's time to get the ball rolling.

Who is currently "in charge" and how can I get in touch with them?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I will be in contact with Lewis!

I'm tired of talk, talk, talk. It's time to get something going. I'd like to have monthly meetings with high quality demos/classes/workshops, regular news letters/info on smithing, etc. There are enough smiths in Kentucky to make this work. It's time to band together.

I'm out of town now, so hello to all from Paducah Kentucky. More info after I get back home and talk to Lewis.

I've talked to Lewis about the same thing .. about giving the KBA a reunion/kick in the pants/ re-start...
(& he should be seeing these posts & hopping in here any moment, I'd guess!)

But where I understand we are at, is SOMEBODY has to step forward and say "I'll host a hammer-in" and then we can set a date. Lewis has the addresses and the records, and if someone hosts a date & place, then we can discuss moving forward from there.
Best I understand it, anyway.

I will second Karine's post. I was thinking we needed to locate the legal info, first. We should go ahead and have several montly meetings first anyway so we can get to know each other.

I can host a meeting in my shop as well. Let me check the callender and see when I could have something. Probably be around July for me. (Which would be great because my birthday is in July so everyone could bring me a bunch of new tools! LOL that was a joke!)
Seriously! If I could go ahead and set a date now, that would allow most folks to put it on the callender.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I let this slip down the line a bit folks.

I currently have an application in for a journeyman position out of state. It will be a while before I know if I get it, so my hands are tied there as far as planning and hosting a meeting. (It'd be a bummer to host a meeting in my shop and then not be able to attend! LOL)

If someone can host a meeting sometime, that would be great! I'll do all I can to assist!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, our new shop (bigger space) should be up and running in November. We could host since there haven't been a lot of volunteers. Anyone from farther off got a good open calendar date in late November (weekend after thanksgiving) or early December?

I'll let Lewis know we're chatting about it.
He's got all the details and paperwork, etc.
I'm assuming previous officers would be invited and we'd discus from there.

I'm on the south end of Big South Fork in Tennessee. I would be happy to host a meeting sometime, large attendence or small.
If there is some response to this suggestion I will try to set something up. I know this is not in Ky but is not that far south. I do have a large well equipted shop. (42' X 60')
Dave, I'm about 90 miles from you and will be coming to Sandusky sometime in the next few weeks.

• 3 months later...

I see there has been semi recent activity on this thread. I've had a lot of semi-locals express interest as well. Things took off last year, and I had a job-opportunity out of state that came up shortly after I started the thread. Then the Young Smith's 2012 trip to ABANA, and then fall craft shows. You folks that do this for a living as well, know the drill.

Anyway, I've got a friend who is going to start working on compiling an email list of interested people.

Dave,

I'm in, let me know what you need and I'll see what I can do to help.

Mark

Thanks! I gave your email address to the guy that is handling emails for me. Once we've established a date for the meeting, I'll be rounding up some folks who are willing to bring extra equipment so that everyone has a chance to bang on metal. I can set up three forging stations, and 10x10 shade tent. I could use more forges, tents, anvils, tongs, hammers, vises.

Once we establish a date, I'll put my phone number in the general email, so that anyone with portable equipment, who wants to bring it, can arrange it with me before hand.

All,

There was a meeting this weekend (1/26/2013) at Maynard Studios in Lawrenceburg, KY.  I was alerted to it via an email from ABANA.  I will post the email below.  The meeting was to gauge interest and to see about revitalizing the Kentucky Blacksmith Association (KBA).  I met Matthew and Karine Maynard,  Lewis Meyer, Scot and Laura Kellersberger, and Daniel (I'm sorry, Daniel.  I forgot your last name).

The consensus was that the majority of people were there to network and learn.  Lewis was the past Treasure of the KBA and was going to work on figuring out what was left in the old accounts.  Daniel was going to set up some IT resources for emails and a possibly a web site.  I was very late and am recounting this from memory, so I may not be 100% accurate with the details.  I also believe Lewis is going to host a hammer-in at his Louisville shop in March.

We all put down our names, phone numbers, and email addresses to be contacted in the future as things progress.  I would urge any interested in participating to get Karine (http://www.maynardstudios.com) their information.

I will also post any new information I get to this thread.

ABANA email regarding revitalization of the Kentucky Blacksmith Association:

Kentucky Blacksmith's Association "Call for Revitalization"

Matthew and Karine Maynard would like to host a meeting to discuss the

revitalization of the Kentucky Blacksmith's Association (KBA) from 1

to 3 pm, Saturday the 26th of January at Maynard Studios. 

Maynard Studios is located at 1986 Fox Creek Rd, Lawrenceburg, KY 40342. (Business only, no forge required).  

If you have any questions, please contact Karine Maynard at