I Forge Iron

Where, oh where can I get some metal?!

Keep your eyes open on the road, especially on trash day.

Ask at repair shops for access to their scrap. Show up dressed to work, leave the place neater than you arrived. Many places have to pay to have the old parts hauled off. Bring trinkets.

Scrap yards, but expect to pay scrap rate or better.

The bands that lumber are shipped with are medium carbon steel, similar to 1050 (no idea what it really is). If you ask nicely stores may put it aside for you, but you have to collect it regularly. If you ask when they are unbanding a bundle you can get a couple bands for your asking.

If you are making items for sale, you may want to look into purchasing new materials. If you make a run of chisels or other tools from "coil spring from a 1998 Cavalier" when it is time to make more, this nebulous definition may cause difficulty in getting stock to perform properly. Ordering lengths of 5160 (or whatever desired material) may be a better answer.

I am sure there are more suggestions out there.

Phil

steel yard if your going to do any quanity ... to start ck your local hardware store they usually have a bin with various sized steel pieces its expensive compared to steel yard prices but it allows you to buy small amounts ... now if your looking to make knives then spring steel usually works good (there are a lot of things that use springs).a lot of people start with scrap ... i still use it but not often if you want a consistent product its hard to achieve with scrap unless you have a constant supply of the same scrap...i personally wouldnt mess around with rebar much... not a consistent product so a piece might be great one time and junk the next....not worth the hassle for the savings ... as a buisness i have found steel price does not affect product price much... most product i make the price of the steel is 10% of product at most...hope this helps

Maybe some leads, thanks to the oracle of Google:

http://www.steelmartatlanta.com/

With locations... in Gainesville, GA, we are convenient for easy pick ups with no minimum orders.

http://www.yellowpages.com/gainesville-ga/mip/besco-steel-supply-inc-12796843

Besco Steel Supply, Gainesville, GA

http://www.gemcitysteel.com/

Gem City Steel Supply was founded in 1978 and serves the steel needs of Atlanta and the Southeast.

Call or contact any of these and see if they carry hot-rolled flats and round in useable sizes (1/8 up to 3/4" for starters). Ask if they have a minimum order, and then compare prices.

I can usually get 10+ feet of stock from my steel supplier for what 4' would cost at Lowes or Home Depot.

Look for any business that produces scrap as a by product of doing business. Run the alleys, look for dumpsters, and cruise the streets about dark night before trash day. There is a LOT of material being thrown away once you start looking. Just remember that no two pieces of scrap are the same. If you need repeatability, buy new.

Mr. Krankowski, I was actually just thinking that, as I went to Home Depot earlier and found that a single three foot rod of steel costs over 7$, compared to the fact that I could go find used metal for free or cheaper if I wanted to. My only concern is if I want consistent, new metal to work with--however, I've got some ideas, so I think I'm headed the right way! Plus I'm getting in a good load of coal soon, so if I can just work with what I've got now until I find a cheap place to find some more metal, I'll be in good shape.
Thanks!
Matt~

I found a local place by asking at the welding supply store. They put me onto a company that builds all sorts of things but will sell small orders to individuals. They stock 1018, a36, and 4140 in more sizes and shapes than I knew existed and their prices are great. Plus, they order regularly and will let you order odd stuff if you want. So check with the welding supply store, machine shop, or fabrication shop as they might know of a similar deal near you.

I was talking to the regional V.P. from Alro metals the other day here in florida they are opening stores where you can buy full lengths and they are carrying Drops that you can pick up a t a good price. I get my steel there. Last week they had 1/4"x1"x2' at 80 cents a pound and they had a lot great for making tongs. they will be expanding the store model across the country.

When I was actively smithing I could always find steel, it's everywhere you look. We are a society that is dependent on it and it is thrown away by just about everyone in one form or another. Now if you want specific types you need to find a good steel company but I have found it by the roadside, scrapyards, thrift stores(bed frames), bulk trash pick up(roadside again), neighbors, auto repair shops, welding shops(some of them will talk you hind leg off when you tell them what you want to do with it), auto body shops, just look for it and ask for it and you will soon have more of it than you know what to do with it. I got so much of it that I had to start sorting it out and taking what was not suitable for my sculpture and selling the rest to the scrap dealer, about 2 tons a month. It's out there and when you develop an eye for finding it you will see it just about everywhere you look. My got so she hate me mentioning it to her so I finally just shut up about it. It's a true shame so much of it ends up in the landfill. Go save some.

Thanks everyone for your help and comments--I got in a huge load of bituminous coal today, along with some new steel pieces which I am currently using to make a gift for my sister--I found a pretty cheap place to get new steel for a reasonable price, so I think I'm all set to go, especially since I found that my bathroom vent is definitely enough to heat coal to a perfect temperature! heeheeheeheeheehee :D
Matt~

I would avoid home depot and lowes. The steel yard if you have one will be MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper. Around here the steel yard is all 20' lengths but they will cut in half for you. So you need to be able to haul 10' lengths. Prices seem reasonable. I got tired of always using scrap for everything. The steel yard here is for mild steel only though.

Most farms will have a scrap pile---got any farmer friends?

I get my "new metal" from a local windmill repair and sales business. As they get their steel cheaper the more they buy at a time they are happy to sell some to me way cheaper than the local hardware/lumberyard. They will even piggy back an order for me on theirs if I want something different.

And when I go to the big city I can go to a steel sales place and buy it cheaper still---except for the tank of gas it costs to go to the city and back---so I pick some up when I'm in the city for other reasons.

Let your friends know you need scrap metal no matter how ugly. An old rusty hunk of rebar can be heated, hammered square down to good metal and used for something. Ask them for coil springs and so forthe. Just let folks know you want metal and see what shows up. Someone will tell you that they have a yard or camp with a junk metal pile and that you can have whatever you want. Pick it over. Watch out for wasps! Watch the side of the road for whatever. Dissassmble stuff and rob parts. I had an old PC printer that had some rollers in it. They were shiny and I thought they might be stainless. Nope. BUt they were nice and clean. Tokk some effort to beat them out though. Old lawn mowers have some good roughly 1/4" bar in them as handles. Rob those at the road. Take the engine apart.